History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

21, 22 and 23 Wellmeadow

A Category C Listed Building in Blairgowrie And Rattray, Perth and Kinross

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.5918 / 56°35'30"N

Longitude: -3.3378 / 3°20'15"W

OS Eastings: 317945

OS Northings: 745233

OS Grid: NO179452

Mapcode National: GBR V8.TNK7

Mapcode Global: WH6PF.PLS0

Entry Name: 21, 22 and 23 Wellmeadow

Listing Date: 4 September 2003

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 397021

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49488

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Blairgowrie and Rattray

County: Perth and Kinross

Town: Blairgowrie And Rattray

Electoral Ward: Blairgowrie and Glens

Traditional County: Perthshire

Find accommodation in
Craighall

Description

Earlier to mid 19th century, ground floor shop altered circa 1930. 3-storey and attic, 3-bay small tenement (converted to offices) with shop at ground in irregular terrace. Harled with stone margins. Ground floor cornice.

NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Corniced frieze and outer pilasters to ground floor shop with broad, set-back 2-leaf part-glazed timber door, flanking inner returns and bays with fixed display windows, those to outer bays with full-width astragal and small sign worded 'DISPENSING' (to left) and 'PHOTOGRAPHIC' (to right). Regular fenestration to each floor above with small flag pole over 1st floor centre window and heraldic emblems to outer right; 2 piend-roofed, slate-hung, bipartite dormer windows.

Plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows, possibly casement to dormers; metal windows to ground floor. Grey slates. Coped harl and brick stacks with cans. Ashlar-coped skews. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hopper.

INTERIOR: shop modern. Plain moulded cornices, coloured glass panel to 1st floor door and winding timber staircase from ground to 1st floor probably later.

Statement of Interest

The present (2002) owner's grandfather took over the pharmaceutical business of McGlashan of Alyth in 1897, at which time the pharmacy operated from No 21, and an ice cream shop from No 23, the flats above housed 3 or 4 families. The upper storeys were converted to offices during the 1950s.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.