This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4783 / 55°28'41"N
Longitude: -4.5587 / 4°33'31"W
OS Eastings: 238390
OS Northings: 623475
OS Grid: NS383234
Mapcode National: GBR 3D.WW79
Mapcode Global: WH3QV.YKCM
Entry Name: Auchencruive Estate, Dairy School
Listing Date: 27 April 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397465
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49838
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kyle
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Alex Mair, 1929-31; late 20th century additions to rear. Symmetrical 2-storey piend-roofed classical-style block; single and 2-storey piend-roofed wings extending to rear to form inner courtyard; single storey flat-roofed entensions. Red brick basecourse; red sandstone dressings; white painted harl; regular fenestration throughout.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central pedimented entrance bay, enclosed bellcote with leaded ogee roof above; moulded door surround with segmental pediment, 2-leaf timber outer door and margin-paned letterbox fanlight; flanking narrow lights, 3 windows to 1st floor. Flanking ranges of 7 bays; regular fenestration with cills.
Metal small-pane casement windows. Cast-iron rainwater goods with decorative hoppers. Grey graded slates.
INTERIOR: plainly tiled. 19th century granite cheese press (fixed to floor) donated by Archie McClelland, 1980.
A Group with Gibbsyard, Hanging Garden, Ice House, Oswald Hall, Oswald's Temple, Walled Garden, West Lodge and Wilson Hall (see separate listings). Auchincruive estate was in the hands of the Wallace family in the 13th century and a variety of owners followed. In the 18th century James Murray of Broughton sold it to Richard Oswald, entrepreneur and merchant. Around 1764 Robert Adam was commissioned to build a new house and associated buildings for Oswald. The estate remained in the Oswald family until 1925 when it was sold to John M Hannah, a local farmer. Hannah gifted it to the West of Scotland Agricultural College in 1927, under whose ownership it remains today (2004). The Dairy School, adjacent Dairy Research Department and the Apiary were all designed by Alex Mair in restrained classical mode. The Dairy School processed milk from the herd of Ayrshire cows into cheese and the building contained laboratories, testing, processing and lecture rooms. The Dairy School is still largely in use as such though modern machinery has replaced most of the originals.
Other nearby listed buildings