History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lychgate to Church of St Digain

A Grade II Listed Building in Llangernyw, Conwy

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1923 / 53°11'32"N

Longitude: -3.6855 / 3°41'7"W

OS Eastings: 287485

OS Northings: 367466

OS Grid: SH874674

Mapcode National: GBR 68.2Z37

Mapcode Global: WH65S.C170

Plus Code: 9C5R58R7+WQ

Entry Name: Lychgate to Church of St Digain

Listing Date: 23 June 1967

Last Amended: 17 March 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 98

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: The lychgate is situated on the W side of the churchyard, close to the centre of Llangernyw village.

County: Conwy

Town: Abergele

Community: Llangernyw

Community: Llangernyw

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Llangerniew

History

Lychgate built in the C18, inscription on lintel dated 1745. Addition of cast iron gates and re-roofing in the C19, weathervane dated 1867.

Exterior

Vernacular masonry structure, square on plan, with gabled roof. Built of local stone rubble with painted rough-cast render on elevations; projecting spur stone at base of SW quoin. Roof of machine-made plain clay tiles with clayware ridge, open eaves and plain barge boards to gables. Decorated wrought iron finial and weathervane at W end of roof ridge. Doorway in W gable wall, facing street, has a painted timber lintel with a carved inscription reading 'E.LL . I.C Wardens 1745' and a pair of C19 cast iron gates with ramped top rails and fleur de lis head to balusters and dog bars. N and S elevations each have one small rectangular unglazed window with a fixed 4-light iron casement.

Interior

Open rafter roof on purlins spanning between gable walls. Plastered walls and splayed window embrasures. Slate-topped wall benches on N and S sides.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a surviving example of an C18 lychgate retaining much of its historic fabric and for group value with adjacent church and churchyard monuments.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Siop Ucha
    In the centre of Llangernyw on the S side of the minor road leading W from the village.
  • II Ivy Cottage
    In the centre of Llangernyw on the S side of the minor road leading W from the village.
  • II* Church of St Digain
    The parish church stands S of the centre of a roughly oval-shaped churchyard on the S side of Llangernyw village centre. The churchyard is entered through a lychgate at W.
  • II Pen Uchar Llan
    In the centre of Llangernyw on the S side of the minor road leading W from the village.
  • II Raised Slab Monument to Harry Lloyd in churchyard of Church of St Digain
    In th SW section of the churchyard, adjacent to the S wall of the church vestry.
  • II General Store
    The building stands on the W side of the A548, approximately 40m N of the centre of Llangernyw village.
  • II Llys Alaw
    The house stands on the W side of the A548, approximately 50m N of the centre of Llangernyw village.
  • II Group of 2 Monuments in churchyard to Church of St Digain
    In the E section of the churchyard, approximately 30m E of the chancel of the church, within an area defined by four trimmed yew trees.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.