History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Group of 2 Monuments in churchyard to Church of St Digain

A Grade II Listed Building in Llangernyw, Conwy

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1921 / 53°11'31"N

Longitude: -3.6847 / 3°41'4"W

OS Eastings: 287540

OS Northings: 367440

OS Grid: SH875674

Mapcode National: GBR 68.2ZC1

Mapcode Global: WH65S.C1M5

Plus Code: 9C5R58R8+R4

Entry Name: Group of 2 Monuments in churchyard to Church of St Digain

Listing Date: 17 March 1999

Last Amended: 17 March 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 21469

Building Class: Miscellaneous

Location: In the E section of the churchyard, approximately 30m E of the chancel of the church, within an area defined by four trimmed yew trees.

County: Conwy

Town: Abergele

Community: Llangernyw

Community: Llangernyw

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Llangerniew

History

To the N, monument to Margaret Sandbach d.1852, also Henry Robertson Sandbach d.1895, Henry Martin Sandbach d.1895, Elizabeth Charlotte Sandbach d.1911 and Margaret Elizabeth Sara Robertson Sandbach d.1913. To the S, undated slab covering entrance to vault bearing incised inscription: HAFODUNOS. Hafodunos was the seat of the Sandbach family from 1831. Hafodunos Hall, separately listed, was built for Henry Robertson Sandbach between 1861-66.

Exterior

Group of two monuments. Monument to Margaret Sandbach et al with black marble or slate urn on sandstone pedestal consisting of a tall unmoulded cap stone with inwardly inclined faces representing a cloth placed over the monolithic shaft which rests on a simply moulded base. The primary inscription is on the E side of the shaft with later inscriptions added to the same and N sides. Incised lettering in sanserif capitals. To the S a large sandstone ledger slab, covering entrance to vault, with incised inscription: HAFODUNOS in V-cut sanserif capitals.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a group of distinctive C19 monuments, historical associations with Hafodunos Hall and group value with church and other churchyard monuments.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Youth Club
    The youth club stands below and approximately 30m SE of the Church of St Digain, on the NE side of school yard, entered from a gateway on the W side.
  • II Ty'r Ysgol
    Ty'r Ysgol adjoins the E end of the former village school below and approximately 30m SE of the Church of St Digain, and is entered through a gateway leading from the school yard on the W side.
  • II* Church of St Digain
    The parish church stands S of the centre of a roughly oval-shaped churchyard on the S side of Llangernyw village centre. The churchyard is entered through a lychgate at W.
  • II Raised Slab Monument to Harry Lloyd in churchyard of Church of St Digain
    In th SW section of the churchyard, adjacent to the S wall of the church vestry.
  • II Lychgate to Church of St Digain
    The lychgate is situated on the W side of the churchyard, close to the centre of Llangernyw village.
  • II Sandbach Mausoleum in churchyard of Church of St Digain
    The mausoleum is situated on the N side of the E extension of the churchyard, approximately 100m E of the church.
  • II Siop Ucha
    In the centre of Llangernyw on the S side of the minor road leading W from the village.
  • II Ivy Cottage
    In the centre of Llangernyw on the S side of the minor road leading W from the village.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.