History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tai Tywyn

A Grade II Listed Building in Prestatyn, Denbighshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3358 / 53°20'8"N

Longitude: -3.4143 / 3°24'51"W

OS Eastings: 305923

OS Northings: 383027

OS Grid: SJ059830

Mapcode National: GBR 4YLV.MY

Mapcode Global: WH768.JFC2

Entry Name: Tai Tywyn

Listing Date: 4 June 1984

Last Amended: 12 September 2001

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 1499

Building Class: Domestic

Location: To the west side of Glan-y-gors, close to junction with Victoria Park Avenue

County: Denbighshire

Community: Prestatyn

Community: Prestatyn

Built-Up Area: Prestatyn

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Prestatyn

History

The two-room cottage which is at the centre of the south range of this building is the original part, built probably c1830. In the Tithe Survey (1839) it is recorded as Crown property (i.e. the foreshore) but occupied by Sarah Davies as a house and croft. It is clearly a squatter's encroachment related to fishing. Another early occupier has been identified as Peter Jones, who appears to have been a miner, although the location indicates fishing as a more likely trade for the original occupant.

By the end of the C19 the cottage had been extended at both ends. Probably also in the late C19 a parallel range had been added to the north, occupied as a separate cottage arranged informally back-to-back (predating, or flouting, the model bylaws of the 1870s - if locally enforced). The property is said to have been bought in 1884 by the Rev. J Townsend for the unlikely figure of £135, and in 1900 by W Parry for the even more implausible figure of £200.

Early names of this building are Lavender Cottages and Fisherman's cottages. The cottages have recently been restored and extended for use as a business centre for small firms, now under the name Tai Tywyn. The first bay of the rear cottage at west contains an exhibition illustrating the conservation scheme.

Exterior

Two cottages, the original being the range to the south, much extended at each end, the later one being added parallel to the rear. The south range is in local uncoursed stone, there being a slight difference in the masonry character of the original part compared to the additions. Some brickwork near to the east end of the south elevation and in the east gable. The rear range is in brickwork. Slate roof to both ranges in regular courses. In both the walling and the roofing the contrast between original and later fabric has been masked by conservation work. Three brick chimneys in the south range, one at least heightened; three also in the rear range.

In the conservation work rooflights have been inserted inconspicuously in the valley-facing slopes of the roofs, a third range to north with an enclosed yard has been added, the additional range not quite parallel to the earlier fabric. Patent-glazed entrance to the latter building and new pavings.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a carefully conserved encroachment settlement with a largely unaltered long-plan cottage (near the former anchorage of Pen-yr-Hwylfa) now a very rare building type in Prestatyn, the cottages also forming an informal back-to-back group.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Old Station
    At south side of railway line, east of present railway station, reached via yard at east of High Street.
  • II Former Goods Shed
    At south side of railway line, east of present railway station, reached via yard at east of High Street
  • II Christ Church Vicarage
    To east of High Street, 100 m north-west of Christ Church, in a walled garden. Surrounding limestone rubble garden wall with Gothic wrought-iron gates to east. Gothic timber door to west, similar ga
  • II Lychgate at Christ Church
    At entrance to Christ Church graveyard.
  • II War Memorial at Christ Church
    Close to the west end of Christ Church, within the churchyard.
  • II Christ Church
    On rising ground to the east of High Street, with a large graveyard mainly to south; lychgate to street, prominent war memorial.
  • II Presents With A Difference
    On the west side of High Street, at right of centre of a terrace of shops situated between Maes-y-groes and Fern Avenue.
  • II Shelter Shop
    On the west side of High Street, at left of centre of a terrace of shops situated between Maes-y-groes and Fern Avenue.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.