This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3364 / 53°20'11"N
Longitude: -3.4059 / 3°24'21"W
OS Eastings: 306479
OS Northings: 383086
OS Grid: SJ064830
Mapcode National: GBR 4YNV.FQ
Mapcode Global: WH768.NDBL
Entry Name: Old Station
Listing Date: 31 January 1997
Last Amended: 12 September 2001
Source ID: 18158
Building Class: Transport
Location: At south side of railway line, east of present railway station, reached via yard at east of High Street.
Built-Up Area: Prestatyn
Traditional County: Flintshire
An early station on the Chester and Holyhead Railway, to the design of Francis Thompson, opened on the 1st of May 1848. The station had a low platform predating the standardisation of platform heights and in the late C19 short step ladders were provided for passengers' use.
The station remained in use until replaced by the present station. It was finally closed to passengers in 1897.
A railway station consisting of a two-storey, three window, symmetrical main block with single storey annexes to all sides. The building is in Flemish bond brickwork and has a low pitch slated roof with generous eaves and verge projections, lead ridge, timber bargeboards and eaves fascias. Brick end chimneys to the main roof and a tall brick chimney to the extremity of the east annexe.
The front elevation to the platform has 16-pane hornless sash-windows above and 12-pane similar below. The lower storey is carried forward at each end and there is a felted linking roof of lesser projection across the main frontage. Three windows and door at platform level.
The rear elevation to the yard has a projecting stairs bay to the main block, with an arch-headed hornless sash-window to the landing and 16-pane hornless sash-windows to each side above. The projecting lower storey at each end has a continuation roof which abuts the stairs bay. Window to left, door and window to right. Additional lean-to against west elevation with two six pane windows with unequal sashes.
The brickwork to the west of the main block and part of the south elevation has been painted red.
Listed as one of the earliest stations on this important early railway line, a building retaining its character and forming a group with the adjacent engine shed.
Other nearby listed buildings