This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.114 / 53°6'50"N
Longitude: -2.9325 / 2°55'57"W
OS Eastings: 337677
OS Northings: 357831
OS Grid: SJ376578
Mapcode National: GBR 78.7VHT
Mapcode Global: WH88L.XZQM
Plus Code: 9C5V4378+JX
Entry Name: Darland Hall
Listing Date: 7 June 1963
Last Amended: 18 October 1996
Source ID: 1554
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located to the south of Darland Lane approximately 1km off the B 5445 Chester Road, set back in its own garden.
Community: Rossett (Yr Orsedd)
Built-Up Area: Rossett
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Multi-period small country house altered and extended from earlier cottage of 1636 to the south-west now attached to the Hall. Said to have originated as a late C16 hall built for a goldsmith of Chester. Held by a Mr Maddock from 1742 until 1786 when the Topham family, who owned and developed Aintree racecourse, acquired the property until 1918. It is believed that they developed much of the Hall to be the building it is today and the surrounding developments the pond, the pergola and gazebo to the rear garden, Darland Hall Farm, and the farm buildings attached to the western end of the Hall and Cottage. Sold by the Duckworth family in 1955 and divided into four flats though substantially unaltered by division as much of the Hall remains in single occupancy with three of the flats to the western end.
Three storeys, rendered brick under pitched slate roof. String course divides storeys to gabled front elevation. Asymmetrically located front door with single height stone Ionic portico with bracketed cornice. Two large bay windows to rear elevation. Recent single storey flat roofed extension to the eastern end connects with former Roman Catholic chapel now in separate ownership and converted to residential use as part of Darland Hey. To the western end, and at right angles to the principal facade is a former stable block to an earlier building of rendered brick, with string course to eastern elevation and with a date stone inscribed ""NM 1769" placed under the keystone of a filled in carriage entrance. Hipped slate roof. To the rear of the stable block is the cottage with date stone inscribed "IA 1636 IA" with farm buildings to the west, the nearest section having been converted to residential use.
Pine "veneer" half panelling to the entrance hall from which rises a fine early C19 staircase, rising full height, with turned balusters and S-shaped tread ends. Retains many High Victorian fireplaces, original six-panelled doors and plain plaster cornices.
Listed for its special interest as a multi-period house, with C17 origins, and retaining good C19 interior detail.
Other nearby listed buildings