History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rossett Hall Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Rossett, Wrexham

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1102 / 53°6'36"N

Longitude: -2.945 / 2°56'42"W

OS Eastings: 336836

OS Northings: 357419

OS Grid: SJ368574

Mapcode National: GBR 77.853Q

Mapcode Global: WH88S.Q2TZ

Plus Code: 9C5V4363+3X

Entry Name: Rossett Hall Hotel

Listing Date: 7 June 1963

Last Amended: 18 October 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 1556

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Located in its own grounds and set back from the north side of the B 5445 Chester Road, and with Rossett Hall Farm to the north. Reached by a private drive from the road opposite the corner of Rosse

County: Wrexham

Community: Rossett (Yr Orsedd)

Community: Rossett

Built-Up Area: Rossett

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Pulford

History

Mid C18 house said to have been built c1750 for James Boydell, with later extensions, now converted to a Hotel.

Exterior

Red-brick with stone dressings, three storeys with dummy third storey to south-west elevation, rendered parapet. Entrance front to south-east is three bays wide with recessed central bay under triangular dentilated pediment in brick. Bays to left and right have heavily chamfered corners with stone long and short quoins to the angles and stone string course between first and second storeys. Later one storey wooden porch to central bay with semi-circular pediment. Dentilated brick cornice beneath rendered parapet wall. Near flush sliding twelve pane sash windows to first and second storeys. Cornice continues to the left return with only two storeys indicated by fenestration. Pebble-dashed wall with four twelve-pane sliding sash windows to second storey, four sets of French windows beneath opening onto Victorian verandah shown to have existed by 1850 from picture in possession of current owner. To the right return three storeys and twelve-pane sliding sash windows to shallow semi-circular bay with dentilated brick cornice said to have been constructed 1780. Large extension to rear and south-west.

Interior

Some original features including early C19 stone cantilevered staircase from entrance hall. Late C18, classical fireplace to north-east bay with egg-and-dart and acanthus decoration, coupled attached Corinthian columns to either side, medallion showing Britannia with laurel in central rectangular medallion to overmantle, framed by swags and urns. To the dining room is High Victorian plaster ceiling mouldings and five panelled door. To the second storey are four bedrooms with further fielded-panelled doors.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a good example of a mid C18 house.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Canister Cottage
    Situated in its own enclosed garden to the eastern side of the Chester Road. Opposite open agricultural land farmed by Rossett Hall Farm.
  • II Rossett War Memorial
    Located in the graveyard of Christ Church, Rossett, adjacent to its front wall to Chester Road as it turns a corner towards Marford and crosses the River Alyn.
  • II Christ Church
    Located to the north of the B 5102 Chester road as it turns south towards the Alyn Bridge. Reached by a Lych gate with carved bargeboards and an inscription dated 1899.
  • II* Rossett Mill
    Situated slightly back from the north-west of the B 5102 Chester Road and to the north of the main village of Rossett. Stands in its own grounds with new stable developments to the rear south of the A
  • II Llyndir Hall Hotel
    Situated in its own grounds approx. 1 km north of Rossett. Currently reached by new access made from Llyndir Lane.
  • II The Courtyard (formerly known as Trevalyn Hall Service Wing)
    Situated, and adjoined to, the rear of Trevalyn Hall by a linking corridor and Porter's Lodge. In its own grounds to the south-east of the B5102, Chester Road.
  • II* Trevalyn Hall (including former lodge)
    Situated in its own grounds set back, and to the south-east, of the Chester Road (B5102)
  • II Former Stable-block to NE of Trevalyn Hospital
    Located to the south-east of Trevalyn Hall and to the north-east of Trevalyn House, reached by a private drive from Manor Lane.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.