History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pergola and gazebo at Darland Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Rossett, Wrexham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1137 / 53°6'49"N

Longitude: -2.9318 / 2°55'54"W

OS Eastings: 337725

OS Northings: 357795

OS Grid: SJ377577

Mapcode National: GBR 78.7VQD

Mapcode Global: WH88L.YZ2V

Entry Name: Pergola and gazebo at Darland Hall

Listing Date: 18 October 1996

Last Amended: 18 October 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17463

Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces

Location: Located in the rear garden of Darland Hall to the east side of the Hall.

County: Wrexham

Community: Rossett (Yr Orsedd)

Community: Rossett

Locality: Darland

Built-Up Area: Rossett

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Pulford

History

Probably late C19/early C20 and constructed for the Topham family, owners and developers of Aintree racecourse, Liverpool. The Topham family lived at Darland Hall from the late C18 until 1918.

Exterior

Red-brick and tile pergola with thirteen square-sectioned pillars and low wall supporting wooden vine supports. Ranged against earlier full height garden wall to Darland Hey which is pierced with thermal openings. Stone flagged path leads to one storey red brick and tile gazebo under patterned clay tile pyramidal roof. Two semi-circular entrances giving access to lawn or pergola.

Reasons for Listing

Included for group value with Darland Hall and as a good example of late C19/early C20 designed garden structures.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Darland Hall
    Located to the south of Darland Lane approximately 1km off the B 5445 Chester Road, set back in its own garden.
  • II Trevalyn Farmhouse
    Set back from, and to the east of, Darland Lane on the borders of Trevalyn and Darland and lying in open agricultural land.
  • II Canister Cottage
    Situated in its own enclosed garden to the eastern side of the Chester Road. Opposite open agricultural land farmed by Rossett Hall Farm.
  • II Llyndir Hall Hotel
    Situated in its own grounds approx. 1 km north of Rossett. Currently reached by new access made from Llyndir Lane.
  • II Old Rectory and Outbuilding
    Poulton and Pulford, Cheshire West and Chester, CH4
  • II Rossett Hall Hotel
    Located in its own grounds and set back from the north side of the B 5445 Chester Road, and with Rossett Hall Farm to the north. Reached by a private drive from the road opposite the corner of Rosse
  • II* Church of St Mary
    Poulton and Pulford, Cheshire West and Chester, CH4
  • II Lodge and Forecourt Wall South of Former Pulford Approach to Eaton Park
    Poulton and Pulford, Cheshire West and Chester, CH4

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.