This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1159 / 53°6'57"N
Longitude: -2.9443 / 2°56'39"W
OS Eastings: 336891
OS Northings: 358056
OS Grid: SJ368580
Mapcode National: GBR 77.7R9J
Mapcode Global: WH88L.RY44
Entry Name: Llyndir Hall Hotel
Listing Date: 18 October 1996
Last Amended: 18 October 1996
Source ID: 17464
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated in its own grounds approx. 1 km north of Rossett. Currently reached by new access made from Llyndir Lane.
Community: Rossett (Yr Orsedd)
Built-Up Area: Rossett
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Built for Richard Barker, of Chester, at the beginning of the C19. The estate had been bought from Benjamin Bruen of Trevalyn House. In 1844 it is recorded as being owned by Mrs. Henrietta Barker. Architect unknown. Large C20 additions to the rear but original internal plan and decorative detail remains largely unaltered.
Two-storey brick, stuccoed to main elevations, painted brick to original rear service wing. Cross planform with service accommodation to rear. First and second storey separated by a carved stone quatrefoil band. Slate roof with deep eaves. Principal elevation to the east has large square headed five-light mullioned and transomed window to ground floor. Two-light shallow-arched Gothick window to second storey above open entrance loggia of three bays with similar shallow-arches. Arches supported on cast-iron quatrefoil sectioned columns on square bases. Ceiling of entrance loggia has flat groin-vault ribs. Northern elevation has four-light mullioned and transomed window to ground floor and two-light twin lancet window in shallow arched Gothick opening to the first floor. Later windows to service wing to the right. Southern elevation has large projecting bay window of five-lights to ground floor with quatrefoil frieze to top becoming a parapet. New dining room single storey extension to service wing on this elevation.
Entrance is by stone flagged loggia through doorway with Gothick fan-light. Gives on to entrance hall with two-bay, shallow vaulted plaster ceiling of quadripartite design with rose bosses, winged heads, and oak leaves to rib terminations. Original wooden staircase with elongated quatrefoil and trefoil details, plaster frieze to stairway mirrors external quatrefoil band. Most original doors survive also with same elongated quatrefoil designs in five-panels. Hall gives onto lounge (east), reception (north), bar (south), and dining room (west). Plaster cornice to the bar of Gothick design, to Lounge of modified acanthus set in trefoil arcade. Reception has later internal partition to form office. Lounge has late C19 carved wooden fire surround.
Listed as a fine early C19 villa which retains much of the detail of the original design.
Other nearby listed buildings