This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.562 / 51°33'43"N
Longitude: -3.0296 / 3°1'46"W
OS Eastings: 328722
OS Northings: 185297
OS Grid: ST287852
Mapcode National: GBR J4.DW2T
Mapcode Global: VH7BC.FZQX
Entry Name: Stable Block including Orangery
Listing Date: 1 March 1963
Last Amended: 31 July 1996
Source ID: 2910
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located to the NW of Tredegar House, facing onto the cobbled Stable Court, and enclosed to the rear by the Stable Yard.
Community: Coedkernew (Coedcernyw)
Locality: Tredegar House
Built-Up Area: Newport
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Tredegar House was the seat of the Morgan family from the early C15 through to the mid C20. The surviving medieval house was incorporated into the South West wing of the much grander, classical house that was built between 1664 and 1672 by Sir William Morgan (d.1680). William married Blanche Morgan, heiress of Judge William Morgan of Therrew, Kings Attorney for South Wales, in 1661 and it seems likely that her dowry financed the rebuilding of Tredegar House and the stables. Limited documentary evidence suggests that the stables are contemporary with the house, probably built a little later during the 1670's. Architect is unknown, however, Roger and William Hurlbutt, master carpenters of Warwick, may be responsible, having worked at Ragley Hall, Warwickshire and Maiden Bradley, Wiltshire. Furthermore, the stables bear strong similarities with the demolished block at Warwick Castle (1667) where the Hurlbutts were also employed. The orangery dates from the early C18, probably built after 1715, when John Morgan inherited the considerable wealth of his unmarried uncle. After the Morgan family died out in 1951 the house and its grounds were used as a boarding school. Owned by Newport Borough Council since 1974 when it became open to the public along with its grounds.
Large, two storey stable building. Continuous, symmetrical, 10 bay elevation in Mannerist style including projecting pavilions to either end. Red brick elevations in Flemish bond, in contrast to the house which is in English Bond. Steeply pitched, hipped, slated roof, with six small vertically aligned, C19 swept-headed dormers with six pane sashes to main elevation and a single thermal dormer to each pavilion. Front elevation has large, unsupported central pediment, possibly added later, with central pedimented clock. Ornate central arched carriageway leading through to rear stable yard, with broken pediment; classical Roman bust flanked by suits of armour and cannon. Further carved weapons to spandrels. Flanking corinthian columns set on fielded pedestals. Ground floor has 10 stone mullion and transom windows with hoodmoulds and small oeuil-de-boeuf windows above, interspersed by 10 decorative, three-quarter height, Ionic brick pilasters, set on pedestals with cupped acorn finials. A typically Mannerist device, defying the traditional use of pilasters in favour of a decorative effect; possibly reflecting the stanchions of the stabling. The rear elevation has an early C18 brick Orangery to the right hand side with a central gable and double doorway flanked by three large, timber 15 over 20 pane sashes. Stone cills and simple gauged brick arches over. Two small swept-headed dormers to each side of the gable. On return flank are two further large sashes, with oeuil-de-boeuf window over. Shaped semi-gable to return. To the left hand side of the stable, divided by an altered three bay gabled projecting wing, is the stabling accommodation with three, flat-headed doorways with stone hoodmoulds, carried on small corbels, interspersed by three mullion and transom windows to match those on the front elevation.
Central entranceway subdivides the two uses of the building. The right hand side is a double height space. Exposed timber framed roof supported on stone corbels. To the left hand side the ground floor contains late C19/early C20 stalls for stabling with ball finials to stanchions. A stone C17, quarter-turn staircase leads up to the first floor, currently partially used as offices. Flagstone floors throughout ground floor.
Listed grade I as an exceptionally fine and architecturally distinctive example of a C17 stable and for its important group value with Tredegar House.
Other nearby listed buildings