History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Boundary Walls to Orangery Garden and Cedar Garden including three sets of gatepiers

A Grade II* Listed Building in Coedkernew, Newport

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5612 / 51°33'40"N

Longitude: -3.0299 / 3°1'47"W

OS Eastings: 328704

OS Northings: 185208

OS Grid: ST287852

Mapcode National: GBR J4.DW0H

Mapcode Global: VH7BK.F0LZ

Entry Name: Boundary Walls to Orangery Garden and Cedar Garden including three sets of gatepiers

Listing Date: 1 March 1963

Last Amended: 31 July 1996

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17098

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Set immediately to the W of Tredegar House and the Orangery, enclosing the Cedar Garden and the Orangery Garden. Set of brick piers set at the N end of the Orangery Garden, the S of the Cedar Garden a

County: Newport

Town: Newport

Community: Coedkernew (Coedcernyw)

Community: Coedkernew

Locality: Tredegar House

Built-Up Area: Newport

Traditional County: Monmouthshire

Find accommodation in
Bassaleg

History

Tredegar House was the seat of the Morgan family from the early C15 through to the mid C20. The surviving medieval house was incorporated into the South West wing of the much grander, classical house that was built between 1664 and 1672 by Sir William Morgan (d.1680). William married Blanche Morgan, heiress of Judge William Morgan of Therrew, Kings Attorney for South Wales, in 1661 and it seems likely that her dowry financed the rebuilding of Tredegar House and the stables. The gardens were re-ordered in the early C18 from the five walled gardens in the medieval manner to the SW of the earlier house to create three walled enclosures linked by a central gravel path with three sets of gateways. The walls to the largest of the enclosures at the NW end have been demolished and recently rebuilt. The Orangery Garden has recently been excavated and laid out to the original design.

Exterior

Early C18, red brick walls, approximately 4m in height, in Flemish bond. Regularly interrupted by shallow, engaged, brick pilasters. Simple coping with shallow projecting stone watershield beneath. Each of the two adjoining courtyards is entered on the NW and SE sides via a pair of large brick piers capped and topped by a stone, gadrooned urn with scrolled acanthus leaf decoration to the base. Surmounted by finials. Original gates missing.

Reasons for Listing

Listed grade II* for important group value with Tredegar House and the adjacent stables and as a fine example of a C18 walled gardens.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.