This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6003 / 51°36'1"N
Longitude: -2.8754 / 2°52'31"W
OS Eastings: 339464
OS Northings: 189414
OS Grid: ST394894
Mapcode National: GBR JB.BKF6
Mapcode Global: VH7BG.31RJ
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Martin
Listing Date: 1 March 1963
Last Amended: 19 December 1995
Source ID: 2921
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Located at the centre of Llanmartin village, set back from the road and bounded by a low rubble wall.
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
C15 Parish Church largely rebuilt in 1858 in Perpendicular style.
Consists of chancel, nave, S porch, vestry and surviving C15 battlemented tower, with rebuilt upper stage. Constructed in Penant sandstone rubble with quoins and dressings of pink sandstone. Continuous terracotta tiled roof running through the chancel and nave. All fenestration in Perpendicular style dates from the C19 with sunk spandrels and square label stops. The E window is of three cusped lights, with Perpendicular tracery to the head and simple hoodmould over, all beneath a relieving arch. The N and S side of the chancel is lit by 2 two-light windows and the nave has a matching three-light window to each side. The tower has a batter and some large sandstone quoins, plinth and two stringcourses at the ridge height of the nave and just beneath the battlements. The W door is wide, with a broadly four-centred doorway, dressed and chamfered jambs in pink sandstone with diagonal stops. Above is a two-light window, probably C15, with cusped head, simple hoodmould and relieving arch over. Each face of the tower has a similar two-light belfry window beneath the battlement. Small square-headed light beneath belfry window on the W side. Rebuilt stair turret on NE side, with two small stairlights. S porch has pointed outer arch with simple hoodmould and simple plain chamfered inner doorway with single cusped light to E and W elevation.
On the N side of the chancel, set within a niche, is the tomb of Sir Thomas Morgan, the first knight of Pencoed, who died in 1510. The tomb is carved in a fine white stone. In the centre is a figure, supporting a shield, flanked by the seven praying figures of his children. The niche has a flat four-centred arch to the top with detached bosses to each side of angels clasping shields. The chancel arch is wide and plain, probably C15. The tower arch is tall and narrow and plain except for exposed stone chamfered arch head which is similar in style to the chancel arch. The chancel roof is arch braced with plain collared roof with C19 painted stencilled plasterwork between the rafters. The nave roof is C19, plastered with moulded ribs and gilded bosses of floral design. C19 octagonal font under the tower. Vestry door is pointed and complexly moulded, probably C15/ early C16.
Listed grade II for the special interest of the surviving medieval fabric and the Morgan monument.
Other nearby listed buildings