History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Valley Inheritance Museum

A Grade II* Listed Building in Pontypool, Torfaen

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7037 / 51°42'13"N

Longitude: -3.0394 / 3°2'21"W

OS Eastings: 328267

OS Northings: 201058

OS Grid: SO282010

Mapcode National: GBR J4.3S70

Mapcode Global: VH79S.8FJT

Entry Name: The Valley Inheritance Museum

Listing Date: 2 July 1962

Last Amended: 28 August 1997

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 3120

Building Class: Education

Location: To the north of Pontypool town centre and immediately to the west of Pontypool Park house, now St.Alban's RC School.

County: Torfaen

Town: Pontypool

Community: Pontymoile (Llanfihangel Pont-y-moel)

Community: Pontymoile

Locality: Pontypool

Built-Up Area: Pontypool

Traditional County: Monmouthshire

Find accommodation in
Pontypool

History

An early C19 stable block arranged on the quadrangular plan around a paved courtyard. It dates probably from about 1810 and is very much in the manner of the Reptons, as is the park which was being landscaped for Capel Hanbury Leigh at about that time (1800-1826), but there is no available documentation (but see St Alban's School). It replaced the earlier stable block which stood to the east of the house.

Exterior

A stable block in a restrained classical style on the quadrangular plan with buildings of different sizes and uses arranged round a paved courtyard.
The entrance front has a central two storey block with tall entrance arch and one window on each side, beyond these a lower recessed single storey wing with two windows on the left and a plain doorway on the right. It is rendered and painted, except for the centrepiece which is ashlar stone, with imposts and keystone, Hipped Welsh slate roofs. The main block has a plat band at first floor level which becomes an eaves band on the wing, as well as the impost blocks on the arch. The ground floor windows are ten over twelve pane sashes, the upper floor ones are eight over eight. Listel frieze, parapets, central attic block over the arch with a secondary cornice.
The return elevation on the left has a two storey block facing into the grounds of St.Alban's School. This is rendered with a dressed stone archway on the left. This is a tall archway with imposts and keystone as on the main front. To the right of this is three bays of blind panels with a central arch headed doorway. Plat band between the floors, cornice and parapet over all. Roof not visible on this elevation. Blind single storey block to the right of this.
The river elevation has three doorways, two double doors with squashed arch heads, and between them a small door with round head. Three windows above, one 8 over 8 pane on the left and two 6 over 6 to the right. Hipped roof.
The return elevation on the right is hidden by Park Cottages.
Courtyard elevations : The entrance elevation is largely as the outside except there is no plat band between the storeys and the ashlar centrepiece rises into a gable with plain bargeboards. The archway is flanked by a ten over fifteen sash on the ground floor and a ten over ten above.
The left hand side has a single storey block with two windows with 10 over 15 sashes, and a two storey block with the treatment as above on the outside except that the windows are not blind. Ten over fifteen sashes on the ground floor with a central arched doorway, five over ten sashes above. Cornice and parapet over all. Tall ashlar arch to right.
The right hand range is two storeys. The ground floor has eight pairs of coach doors separated by slim cast iron columns which support almost flat stone arches with keystones. Above are eight windows with ten over ten sashes, but the second window from the left is a part glazed taking in door. Hipped roof.
The rear block is single storey. It has a plain door under a hood on the left and an arched door on the right, three 10 over 15 sash windows between. Hipped roof.
The courtyard is paved with cobbles throughout, and in the centre is a circular pond with an iron rim which acted as horse trough.

Interior

The building is used as an heritage centre and museum for the Torfaen valley and County Borough. The exhibits so disguise the ground floor that little can be seen of the original building, while the upper floor has been converted into offfices.

Reasons for Listing

Graded II* as a very good example of a country house stable block in a restrained classical style. Group value with St Alban's RC School and other neighbouring listed buildings.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.