History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Curig

A Grade II Listed Building in Capel Curig, Conwy

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1049 / 53°6'17"N

Longitude: -3.9116 / 3°54'41"W

OS Eastings: 272122

OS Northings: 358123

OS Grid: SH721581

Mapcode National: GBR 5Z.8J8W

Mapcode Global: WH54X.W7H0

Entry Name: Church of St Curig

Listing Date: 23 January 1998

Last Amended: 23 January 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19239

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: To W of A5 in churchyard above road. Opposite junction with A4086

County: Conwy

Community: Capel Curig

Community: Capel Curig

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Capel-Curig

History

Church of c1884. By Goronwy Owen, architect. The apse contains magnificent mosaic designed by clayton & Bell, executed by Salviati of Venicel. Brass plate records "To the Glory of God and in memory of Georgina Sackville West, who departed this life February 23rd 1883, the mosaic in the roof was placed by her husband William Edward Sackville West of Lime Grove in the parish of Llendegai, aided by his sisters Elizabeth Duchess of Bedford and Mary Catherine Countess of Derby. AD 1884.

Exterior

Church in local dark rubble, bathstone dressings, slate roofs. West end has 2 round-arched windows and bell-cote corbelled out below gable. Gabled SW porch. Aisleless nave, round-arched windows grouped 2-2-1-2 separated by buttresses. Apsidal chancel with foiled windows under hoodmoulds; E end of chancel has bathstone niche with statue of youthful male saint. NE vestry with plate tracery. Chimney at NW corner of nave.

Interior

Simple aisleless interior faced in brick with bathstone dressings. Arches to chancel and apse supported by polychrome marble dwarf shafts on corbels. Low wall at chancel with semi-circular stone pulpit (L) and marble lectern (R). Apse has magnificent mosaic (circa 6m diameter). On golden background Christ enthroned in majesty (inscription "Saltator Mundi"), flanked by angels swinging censers. Above, bands of cherubim/seraphim; below, roundels include symbols of evangelists and Lamb of God.

Reasons for Listing

Building on important site at village centre with magnificent apse mosaic by leading designers of period.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Hen Bont
    Spanning the Afon Llugwy across a dramatic wooded, rocky gorge, at the N end of Capel Curig village; approximately 50m N of the A 5 / A 4086 cross roads.
  • II Pont-y-Capel
    Spanning the Afon Llugwy immediately N of Capel Curig church and carrying the A 4086.
  • II* Church of St Curig
    Situated immediately W of the A 4086 (Capel Curig to Caernarfon road), on the S bank of the Afon Llugwy; approximately 300m NE of Plas-y-Brenin (the National Recreation Centre).
  • II Agricultural Building at Royal Farm
    Faces N across the Afon Llugwy valley on the western edge of Capel Curig; situated just beyond the Pont-y-Capel road bridge, opposite Capel Curig church.
  • II Milestone
    Situated on the roadside approximately .5km N of the Capel Curig road junction; set within a low rubble wall and partly submerged below the road level.
  • II Plas-y-Brenin, National Recreation Centre (formerly the Royal Hotel).
    Located on the roadside at the eastern end of the Llynnau Mymbyr and approximately 750m SW of the Capel Curig road junction.
  • II Milestone
    Situated on the roadside approximately .6km NW of Pont Cyfyng.
  • II Milestone
    On the roadside in the Afon Llugwy valley some 3km NW of Capel Curig.; set against a low rubble wall

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.