This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6928 / 51°41'34"N
Longitude: -4.8805 / 4°52'49"W
OS Eastings: 201014
OS Northings: 203271
OS Grid: SN010032
Mapcode National: GBR G9.BJLT
Mapcode Global: VH1S1.CQ84
Plus Code: 9C3QM4V9+4R
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 14 May 1970
Last Amended: 12 September 1996
Source ID: 5988
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: In hamlet of Lower Nash, 1 km SE of Cosheston Church. Reached by a side road N of the A477 road.
Town: Pembroke Dock
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
The church was rebuilt on earlier foundations, 1841-2, by George Gwyther, architect, of Pembroke Dock. It was repaired in the 1890's but retains its early C19 arrangement virtually intact. The parish is closely connected to Upton, and there are Tasker and Neale graves in the churchyard and memorials within the church.
The church is of rubble masonry, rebuilt on the foundations of the earlier church, and part of the masonry, especially near the W end, may be retained from the earlier structure. The church now consists of nave cum chancel under one roof and there is a small N vestry. Larger stones at quoins. Ashlar bellcote with single bell above gable coping at W end. The E and W windows are of three lights, round headed, with flat arches. Other windows are similar but of two lights. Four-centred W doorway.
There is no marked division into nave and chancel. There is no chancel arch, and the plain plaster ceiling is continuous from end to end. At the W is a gallery with a handrail on turned balusters, above a small internal porch. The vestry is at the N reached under stone archway. Rough stonework is exposed at the reveals of the E window. Plain coloured glass throughout. Box pews.
Listed as an important example of a pre-Ecclescological Movement C19 church, retaining most of its original character.
Other nearby listed buildings