History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cross Inn

A Grade II Listed Building in Penally, Pembrokeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6591 / 51°39'32"N

Longitude: -4.7234 / 4°43'24"W

OS Eastings: 211727

OS Northings: 199103

OS Grid: SS117991

Mapcode National: GBR GD.SJ2R

Mapcode Global: VH2PS.2KSH

Plus Code: 9C3QM75G+JJ

Entry Name: Cross Inn

Listing Date: 14 May 1970

Last Amended: 26 April 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 5995

Building Class: Commercial

Location: Facing a minor street 100 m SW of Penally Church. At the front is a small terrace with a stone wall, reached from the road by a short flight of steps.

County: Pembrokeshire

Community: Penally (Penalun)

Community: Penally

Locality: Penally Village

Built-Up Area: Penally

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
Penally

History

The building does not appear on the Tithe Survey plan of 1841 and was probably built in the 1840's or 50's. An early photograph of it c.1900 has survived. It may originally have been two cottages.

Exterior

Two storeys facing E with a double modern rear wing. Range of four windows, the window over the right-hand door being an insertion. Rendered on all faces, scored and painted. Slate roof with tile ridge. End chimneys, rendered and capped. Modern 12-pane sash windows. Main door at left of centre, with four panels. Double doors to the lounge at the right. The original pub-sign was affixed to the SE corner of the building. This has been replaced by a painted pub-sign of traditional form fixed to wall above entrance and another similar sign on the left gable wall.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a building retaining its character as a C19 public house notwithstanding alterations.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Jubilee Fountain
    At the point where the road from the Ridgeway meets the main street of Penally, 100 m S of the Church.
  • II Giltar Lodge
    75 m S of Penally Church, on a corner site. There is a railed area either side of the entrance and along the W side.
  • II Michaelmas Cottage
    40 m W of Penally Church, built into a steep bank at the W edge of the churchyard.
  • II* Church of St Nicholas
    In the centre of the village of Penally. The churchyard is enclosed within a rubble masonry wall with simple iron gates.
  • II Ruins in Grounds of Penally Court
    30 m NW of Penally Court Farmhouse, and adjacent to the main street of the village.
  • II The Cottage
    100 m NW of Penally Church.
  • II Abbey Hotel
    150 m N of Penally Church. The house stands in extensive grounds. There is a terrace along the garden front with a crenellated wall. Behind the house is a stable building now converted to guest accom
  • II St Deiniol's Well
    A well located beside the lane at the W of the Abbey Hotel. It is immediately opposite the garage of the house named Corn Mwg.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.