This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2115 / 52°12'41"N
Longitude: -4.2825 / 4°16'57"W
OS Eastings: 244143
OS Northings: 259486
OS Grid: SN441594
Mapcode National: GBR DH.2VSQ
Mapcode Global: VH3JR.QPB1
Plus Code: 9C4Q6P68+HX
Entry Name: Llwyncelyn Independent Chapel
Listing Date: 3 June 1964
Last Amended: 21 February 1996
Source ID: 9797
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on right side of lane from Llwyncelyn to Oakford, in iron-railed forecourt.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Built 1855 as a branch of Neuaddlwyd on land bought from the Plas y Wern estate. Chapel is said to have been designed by one of the deacons, Thomas Evansof Pontbrenddu, Oakford.
Coursed squared stone with slate roof and bracketted eaves. Lateral facade of two large arched windows with arched plaque between and tall arched outer doors. Stone voussoirs. Windows are 24-pane with radiating-bar heads, doors are 2-panel with both 5-pane overlights and radiating-bar fanlights above. Slate hung rear over rubble stone high plinth. Two square headed long 32-pane sashes. 16-pane sash to upper level each end wall. Slate-hung S gable end above attached roughcast vestry. Slate roof, roughcast end stack and big 16-pane pivot window to upper floor front over small ground floor window. Door in end wall. Parallel-roofed windowless range behind.
Handsome interior with three-sided gallery on plain iron columns with capitals. Gallery front with simple cornices above and below and vertical panels.Curved angles. Box pews, raked, painted-grained and panelled both in main part and gallery. Later pine great seat. Timber panelled original pulpit, painted grained, with curved angles, raised high on panelled base, with single flight of steps up from right. Thin plaster arch behind. Lobbies in angles with multi-pane windows filled with coloured glass. Plaster 3-sided ceiling with simple centre rose.
A particularly well-preserved lateral-fronted chapel which retains its box-pews and simple interior carpentry.
Other nearby listed buildings