History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Dairy

A Grade II* Listed Building in Llansawel, Carmarthenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9936 / 51°59'36"N

Longitude: -3.9943 / 3°59'39"W

OS Eastings: 263169

OS Northings: 234672

OS Grid: SN631346

Mapcode National: GBR DW.JFWB

Mapcode Global: VH4HJ.Q571

Entry Name: The Dairy

Listing Date: 8 July 1966

Last Amended: 26 May 1995

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 10952

Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence

Location: Edwinsford is reached off the B4337 between Llansawel and Talley and is situated on the banks of the River Cothi which is the boundary between the two communities. The Dairy is situated on the opposi

County: Carmarthenshire

Community: Llansawel

Community: Llansawel

Locality: Edwinsford

Traditional County: Carmarthenshire

Find accommodation in
Llansawel

History

Formerly the dairy to Edwinsford mansion, the derelict ancient seat of the Williams family. It is probably early/mid C18 and is shown in present form in an engraving after Sandby c1776. Altered and repaired 1822, now a residence.

Exterior

Early/mid C18 rubble built, formerly whitewashed. Repaired 1822, probably when the present windows were installed. Stone tiled roof, early C19 timber consoled cornice; slated barges. Dressed stone (rebuilt) bellcot with rounded head containing bell dated 1743 to left. Rubble stack to left of rear wing.

Two storey front, 4 upper windows rising to eaves; low wide 6-pane casements. Two ground floor 12-pane hornless sashes, cambered stone voussoired heads; stone sills.

Rendered C20 lean-to to right. Entry to right end with stone voussoired head; obscured by modern porch.

Projecting 2-storey rear wing with dairy outshut abutting to left. 6-pane casement to outshut, cambered stone voussoired head. Wide ground floor window to wing with timber 6-light leaded transom and mullion almost certainly early/mid C18; flat stone voussoired head. C20 window above to rendered gable with projecting remnants of dove-ledges above. Two light 12-pane casement to return elevation of wing; head as above.

Interior

Early C19 panelled window shutters and 6-panel doors to ground floor; raised and fielded panelling.

Reasons for Listing

Attractive and unusual building. Group value with Home Farm and other listed estate buildings.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II* Edwinsford Home Farm
    Edwinsford is reached off the B4337 between Llansawel and Talley and is situated on the banks of the River Cothi which is the boundary between the two communities. The Home Farm is on the opposite (N
  • II Sundial
    Edwinsford is reached off the B4337 between Llansawel and Talley and is situated on the banks of the River Cothi which is the boundary between the two communities. The sundial stands immediately NE
  • II bridge over River Gothi at Edwinsford
    Edwinsford House is reached at the end of a short driveway off the B4337 1 km SE of Llansawel. The bridge stands some 200m NE of the house over the Cothi River.
  • II The Coach House- no description available 3/12/2004 RM
    Edwinsford is reached off the B4337 between Llansawel and Talley and is situated on the banks of the River Cothi which is the boundary between the two communities. The Coach House is situated to the E
  • II* Edwinsford
    The mansion is reached at the end of a short driveway off the B4337 1 km SE of Llansawel.
  • II Walled Garden at Edwinsford
    Edwinsford is reached off the B4337 between Llansawel and Talley and is situated on the banks of the River Cothi which is the boundary between the two communities. The walled garden is immediately
  • II Ty Peggi
    Edwinsford is reached off the B4337 between Llansawel and Talley and is situated on the banks of the River Cothi which is the boundary between the two communities. Ty Peggi is situated on the oppo
  • II Dovecote at Edwinsford
    Edwinsford is reached off the B4337 between Llansawel and Talley and is situated on the banks of the River Cothi which is the boundary between the two communities. The dovecote is on the opposite

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.