History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Edwinsford Home Farm

A Grade II* Listed Building in Llansawel, Carmarthenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9938 / 51°59'37"N

Longitude: -3.9944 / 3°59'39"W

OS Eastings: 263164

OS Northings: 234692

OS Grid: SN631346

Mapcode National: GBR DW.JFW8

Mapcode Global: VH4HJ.Q45X

Entry Name: Edwinsford Home Farm

Listing Date: 8 July 1966

Last Amended: 26 May 1995

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 10953

Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence

Location: Edwinsford is reached off the B4337 between Llansawel and Talley and is situated on the banks of the River Cothi which is the boundary between the two communities. The Home Farm is on the opposite (N

County: Carmarthenshire

Community: Llansawel

Community: Llansawel

Locality: Edwinsford

Traditional County: Carmarthenshire

Find accommodation in
Llansawel

History

Remodelling of earlier building. An engraving after Sandby c1776 shows an 8-bay cow-house on the site. This was slightly remodelled when a new farmhouse was built to the E, the whole forming a L-shape. 1822 estate accounts records expenditure on repairing "some inconsiderable part of the farmhouse at Edwinsford and building a new and residue of the same".

Exterior

Early/mid C18 cow-house with farmhouse to E, latter rebuilt 1822; the while forming a L-plan. Rubble built, stone tiled roof, hipped to angle between 2-storey farmhouse and earlier one and a half storey cow-house. Farmhouse with wooden consoled cornice. Gable stack to N, rubble; stone tabling. Four window doorless front, 12-pane hornless sashes, cambered stone voussoired heads; stone sills. 12-pane sashes to right gable end (one each to ground floor and stair, two above) with C19 half glazed door. Cambered stone voussoired heads. 12-pane sashes to rear of farmhouse (two upper, two lower), small 4-pane casement to ground floor left; heads as above. Open rubble porch to corner, C20 door; timber lintel.

Long 8 bay S front, 5 bays to left retained as cow-house during 1822 remodelling with central boarded door, two early C19 hornless sashes each side, cambered heads; stone voussoirs. The Sandby engraving indicates that all of the present openings were formerly doorways. Doorway to right, similar head; C20 door. C20 bow window adjacent with 12-pane sash as above to extreme right. Two C19 hipped dormers, slated sides; 12-pane sashes. Planked door to gable, head as above. Loop overhead. Rear elevation with doorways o ends and centre, planked doors; heads as above. Blocked cart-entry to extreme right, blocked low doorway to left of westernmost door; heads as above.

Interior

Interior only briefly inspected. Inglenook to drawing room with huge timber bressumer. 6-panel doors and panelled window shutters here and to Dining room and Kitchen. Massive collar-beam roof to former cow-house, rough trusses with pegged collars; scarfed wall-posts resting on cut-off beam.

Reasons for Listing

Highly picturesque and important former estate farmhouse. Group value with the Dairy and other listed estate buildings.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Sundial
    Edwinsford is reached off the B4337 between Llansawel and Talley and is situated on the banks of the River Cothi which is the boundary between the two communities. The sundial stands immediately NE
  • II* The Dairy
    Edwinsford is reached off the B4337 between Llansawel and Talley and is situated on the banks of the River Cothi which is the boundary between the two communities. The Dairy is situated on the opposi
  • II bridge over River Gothi at Edwinsford
    Edwinsford House is reached at the end of a short driveway off the B4337 1 km SE of Llansawel. The bridge stands some 200m NE of the house over the Cothi River.
  • II The Coach House- no description available 3/12/2004 RM
    Edwinsford is reached off the B4337 between Llansawel and Talley and is situated on the banks of the River Cothi which is the boundary between the two communities. The Coach House is situated to the E
  • II Walled Garden at Edwinsford
    Edwinsford is reached off the B4337 between Llansawel and Talley and is situated on the banks of the River Cothi which is the boundary between the two communities. The walled garden is immediately
  • II* Edwinsford
    The mansion is reached at the end of a short driveway off the B4337 1 km SE of Llansawel.
  • II Ty Peggi
    Edwinsford is reached off the B4337 between Llansawel and Talley and is situated on the banks of the River Cothi which is the boundary between the two communities. Ty Peggi is situated on the oppo
  • II Dovecote at Edwinsford
    Edwinsford is reached off the B4337 between Llansawel and Talley and is situated on the banks of the River Cothi which is the boundary between the two communities. The dovecote is on the opposite

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.