This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9944 / 51°59'39"N
Longitude: -3.9937 / 3°59'37"W
OS Eastings: 263214
OS Northings: 234758
OS Grid: SN632347
Mapcode National: GBR DW.JG1V
Mapcode Global: VH4HJ.Q4KF
Entry Name: The Coach House- no description available 3/12/2004 RM
Listing Date: 8 July 1966
Last Amended: 26 May 1995
Source ID: 10954
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Edwinsford is reached off the B4337 between Llansawel and Talley and is situated on the banks of the River Cothi which is the boundary between the two communities. The Coach House is situated to the E
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Built 1802 for Williams family of Edwinsford. Whole complex shown on 1838 Tithe Map. Mostly converted for residential use.
1802 large complex of stables and coach houses enclosing square courtyard. Rubble built, slate hipped roofs. Formal front with 2-storey 3-bay centre block and flanking single storey 3-bay wings. Dressed stone stack to right of centre block and to ridge of left wing. Centre block with 3 C20 metal casements to first floor, ashlar heads with keystones. 12-pane hornless sashes below, cambered heads; stone voussoirs. Central round archway, formerly leading to courtyard, now filled with C20 glazing; dressed stone voussoirs and projecting keystone bearing Williams family shield and date of 1802.
The wings return to form courtyard ranges. Central round arched doorway to both with flanking 12-pane hornless sashes; cambered heads, stone voussoirs, projecting imposts to doors. Fanlight intact over left door; simple radiating glazing bars. C20 dormers to right wing.
Square inner courtyard. Rear of main block as front, C20 glazing, original 12-pane hornless sash to upper right. Single storey 3- bay hip-roofed stable ranges to right and left, both originally with round arched doorway and flanking thermal windows; stone voussoirs. Left wing intact with boarded door, fanlight with radiating glazing bars; similarly glazed thermal window to right. Left window recently elongated. Both windows of the right (E) wing have suffered the same fate; the arched doorhead has been replaced with a flat head (reusing the old voussoirs) in order to insert a large dormer above.
Rear single storey coach-house range of finer coursed stone and hipped roof. Six round headed arches upon square piers. Pale ashlar voussoirs to central 4 arches, the others of native grey stone. Boarded paired doors.
Good late Georgian estate building. Group value with mansion and listed estate buildings to W.
Other nearby listed buildings