This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.619 / 51°37'8"N
Longitude: -3.6611 / 3°39'40"W
OS Eastings: 285092
OS Northings: 192441
OS Grid: SS850924
Mapcode National: GBR H8.9CTB
Mapcode Global: VH5GX.HKCQ
Plus Code: 9C3RJ89Q+JG
Entry Name: Siloh Independent Chapel
Listing Date: 28 February 1989
Last Amended: 14 July 1997
Source ID: 11356
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Set in the centre of Nantyffyllon, and set back behind an iron railed forecourt.
Built-Up Area: Maesteg
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Built 1876-7 by George Harman, architect, to serve the Welsh Independent community formed out of the Carmel church of Maesteg for the greater convenience of members in Nantyffyllon. It replaced a smaller chapel built in 1858, and was designed to seat 959 members.
Coursed rubble stone with freestone dressings and a slate roof. Classical 3-bay front defined by giant order pilasters with pediment and a depressed central arch. Pediment of the wider central bay has acroteria and apex finial. Vermiculated panels over the pilasters. Windows with vermiculated keystones and springers, and sill and plinth bands. Small pane windows, also with keystones, to full height of the outer bays, and stepped tripartite window at the centre. Above, the chapel name, SILOH INDEPT CHAPEL, is inscribed on a scroll tablet, with ERECTED ANNO DOMINI 1876 on the surround of the attic roundel. The central entrance has round-headed 4-panelled doors with keyblock architraves. The space between the doors is carved with foliage and painted, and includes a dove. The foundation stone was laid by William Jenkins of Swansea. To the left is a rubble wall with a door to a side passage. Five-bay side elevations with sash windows, and a round arch leaded windows to the gallery and segmental headed windows below. The basement schoolroom has similar segmental headed windows. The rear is pebbledashed with an attic oculus, and a door leads into the basement schoolroom.
The forecourt is defined against the street by a low stone wall carrying railings beteeen panelled stone piers and scalloped cappings.
Originally with bowed cast-iron palmette design front to the gallery around 3 sides, gilded and carried on timber columns, some being barley-twist. The interior was severely damaged by fire in the 1980s and not accessible at the time of inspection.
Included as an architecturally ambitious chapel with a well designed facade.
Other nearby listed buildings