This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6162 / 51°36'58"N
Longitude: -3.6629 / 3°39'46"W
OS Eastings: 284961
OS Northings: 192134
OS Grid: SS849921
Mapcode National: GBR H8.9KBZ
Mapcode Global: VH5GX.GMDV
Plus Code: 9C3RJ88P+FR
Entry Name: Capel Saron
Listing Date: 14 July 1997
Last Amended: 14 July 1997
Source ID: 18496
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Located in an elevated position above High Street, at the N end of Maesteg, and accessed by a small road to the Forge Factory Estate.
Built-Up Area: Maesteg
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Originally built in 1852 and remodelled in 1900. Converted as a Chapel of Rest c.1991.
Gable front facing NE, of 3 bays defined by gabled pilasters, the central bay wider and arched, with 3 lancets under a continuous hood moulding. Cross in circle symbol and SARON, and inscribed under the arch ADEILADWYD 1852 ADNEWYDDWYD 1900. Below, a gabled porch with arched doorway having coloured glass in the fanlight. Foundations stones each side. Single lancets to the side bays. To the rear, a 3-bay schoolroom to the left (S) with arched door and lancet windows, set at right angles to the main body of the building.
Gallery around 3 sides, rounded at the front, with arcaded pine front, all supported on iron Corinthianesque columns. Tiered seats. The ceiling is coved up to a central boarded panel with moulded patterned ribs and central circular floral disk. The pulpit is set against a recessed painted arch on Corinthian fluted pilasters, and has 6 steps, curving round, with 3-sided panelled front and decorative iron railings. The area of the set fawr is railed on iron stanchions. At the rear, the entrance lobby is divioded off by a timber screen, glazed with coloured glass. Two lying-in rooms formed under the back of the gallery in c.1991.
Included as a good example of a provincial chapel in a Gothic style, which retains much of its original character internally.
Other nearby listed buildings