History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Tydfil

A Grade II Listed Building in Llandow, Vale of Glamorgan

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4564 / 51°27'22"N

Longitude: -3.4956 / 3°29'44"W

OS Eastings: 296185

OS Northings: 174102

OS Grid: SS961741

Mapcode National: GBR HH.MKGT

Mapcode Global: VH5HS.CNDF

Plus Code: 9C3RFG43+GQ

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Tydfil

Listing Date: 22 February 1963

Last Amended: 26 October 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 13163

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Located at the centre of the village of Llysworney, immediately to the W of the village pond.

County: Vale of Glamorgan

Community: Llandow (Lland┼Á)

Community: Llandow

Locality: LLysworney

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Cowbridge

History

C12 origins, thought to be a chapel of ease of Llantwit Major at the end of the C12. The nave and the tower probably date from the C15. The church was heavily restored between 1893 and 1894 by the diocesan architect F.R. Kempson when the roof of the nave, chancel and sanctuary were replaced, along with all of the fenestration, the pews, the pulpit and the floors. A modern vestry has been erected on the N side of the chancel.

Exterior

The church consists of chancel, central tower, nave, S porch and vestry. Constructed of limestone rubble with Welsh slate roofs. The windows are all C19 replacements with sandstone dressings. The E end of the chancel is lit by a three-light window with trefoil heads, which steps up at the centre, beneath a hoodmould. The S elevation of the chancel is lit by a single lancet with trefoil head. The central tower is broad with a corbel table above. The tower has paired belfry louvres to N and S with narrow slot openings beneath. On south side is an inset stone with chevron, nail head, birds and arabesque detailing. Gabled porch with round-headed outer doorway, flanking stone benches and modern timber collar roof. The W end of the nave is lit by stained glass, round-headed windows. The central tower has a narrow staircase tower with a conical stone slab roof on the E side with two staggered square-headed stairlights with single boarded door beneath. The stair tower has a tall stone chimney. The N face of the vestry has a boarded priests door with single, square-headed light under a square label to the right hand side. The E face of the vestry has a two-light window under a square label.

Interior

The plan of the church is notable for its crossing tower. The chancel and sanctuary arches are not in alignment; the tower/chancel arch is an obtuse, two-centred arch without mouldings, possibly of C12 origin and the chancel/sanctuary arch is a narrower, more pointed two-centred arch, similarly unadorned; squint to E wall. E end has piscina with Romanesque cushion capital embedded in a recess in the S wall. The roof of the sanctuary and nave is of C19 collar-purlin type, carried on massive stone corbels. The chancel roof is flat and boarded. C19 choir stalls and pulpit. The N wall of the nave has a number of memorials to members of the Carne family. The easternmost one is to Sarah Jane who died in 1861, wife of R.C Nicholl Carne of Nash Manor, who donated the Village School to the W of the church, and the central memorial is to John Carne, Lord of the Manor, who died in1762. The Norman font is located by the S door on a square base with broach stops.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Former Church School
    Prominently located at the centre of Llysworney village to the S of the parish church, set back from the road within a small paved yard surrounded by a low rubble wall.
  • II The Old Sheep Washery
    Located at the centre of the village, opposite the village pond and sheep pound, and to the W of the Parish Church of St. Tydfil.
  • II Former Ebenezer Particular Baptist Chapel
    Llandow
  • II Great House
    At the centre of the village to S of Parish Church, set behind a low rubble wall.
  • II Milepost at the Carne Arms PH
    Located on the roadside and set into the end of the S boundary wall of the Carne Arms public house at Llysworney.
  • II Breach Farm House
    About 1.8km W of Llanblethian, and 300m S of road.
  • II PIgeon Hose at Nash Manor
    The Pigeon House is immediately beside the roadside boundary wall to the W of the main house; linked to the Pheasant House by a courtyard wall.
  • I Nash Manor
    Set in its own grounds to N of Llandow trading estate and 1km S of Llysworney. The entrance to the drive is at the junction of the B4268 and the B4270.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.