This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.456 / 51°27'21"N
Longitude: -3.4962 / 3°29'46"W
OS Eastings: 296142
OS Northings: 174059
OS Grid: SS961740
Mapcode National: GBR HH.MK9G
Mapcode Global: VH5HS.CN2Q
Entry Name: Former Ebenezer Particular Baptist Chapel
Listing Date: 26 October 1995
Last Amended: 26 October 1995
Source ID: 16465
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Community: Llandow (Llandŵ)
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Located to the SW of St Tydfils parish church near the centre of the village, facing the road, leading W out of Llysworney, aligned on a NS axis.
History: Disused chapel erected in 1843 for the Ebenezer Particular Baptists. Central entrance on E elevation, later blocked, presumably later in the C19 when the chapel was re-ordered and a small lobby porch was erected on the N elevation, and the pulpit was relocated to the S end.
Exterior: Small non-conformist chapel of oblong plan, rendered elevations, originally painted white. Slated pitched roof. Two tall pointed arched windows to the front ( N) elevation with intersecting glazing bars over small paned sashes, flanking a small, later porch. Identical matching pairs of windows to the E and S elevations, fragments of dark blue glazing to tracery still evident. E elevation has evidence of former central two-centred doorway, now blocked. The W elevation is unlit.
Interior: Chapel furnishings survive with small flight of flanking steps leading up to the platform at S end. Seating for the elders located to the E, set adjacent to the podium. Three rows of simple pews face onto the podium leading back to the rear wall of the chapel. Plain plaster ceiling with large central ceiling rose with acanthus detail. Simple moulded cornice. Stove stands against the W wall half way down the chapel.
Front garden boundary has cast-iron railings set on a dwarf rubble wall with fleur-de-lis finial, some missing. Rubble stone gate piers with capping and gate with detail to match the railings.
The chapel and boundary in poor condition at the time of inspection. (June 1995).
Listed grade II as a mid C19 chapel, that retains some original detail notwithstanding later C19 re-ordering.
Reference: Ieuan Gwynedd Jones and David Williams Ed. (1976) A Religious Census of 1851: A Calendar of the Returns relating to Wales, Vol. 1, South Wales.g
Other nearby listed buildings