This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4612 / 51°27'40"N
Longitude: -3.4505 / 3°27'1"W
OS Eastings: 299327
OS Northings: 174574
OS Grid: SS993745
Mapcode National: GBR HK.M4T4
Mapcode Global: VH6F8.4JQQ
Plus Code: 9C3RFG6X+FR
Entry Name: South Gate (Porth y Felin)
Listing Date: 5 December 1963
Last Amended: 16 September 1999
Source ID: 13183
Building Class: Domestic
Location: At S end of Church Street.
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Community: Cowbridge with Llanblethian (Y Bont-faen a Llanfleiddan)
Community: Cowbridge with Llanblethian
Built-Up Area: Cowbridge
Traditional County: Glamorgan
In 1266 Earl Gilbert de Clare Lord of Glamorgan, is thought to have directed the building of protective walls round the boroughs of Cowbridge, Neath and Cardiff. Present gate possibly dates from early C14; later repairs in, eg, 1805 and 1862. The town walls of Cowbridge originally had 4 gates (to N, S, E, W); the S gate (Porth y Felin) is the only survivor; E and W gates demolished mid C18; position and fate of N gate uncertain. The South Gate was originally vaulted with an upper floor or garderobe reached by a now blocked arch in inner E face of the gate.
Gate of stone rubble six metres high, roughly 6.2 metres deep and six metres wide. North side has pointed double archways, roughly 3.3 metres wide, with segmental arch on south face, flanked by buttresses which probably date from C19 restorations.
Graded II* as extremely rare example of Medieval town gate in Glamorgan. Group value with town walls and adjacent listed buildings.
Scheduled Ancient Monument, Cadw No Gm136.
Other nearby listed buildings