This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4015 / 51°24'5"N
Longitude: -3.5343 / 3°32'3"W
OS Eastings: 293364
OS Northings: 168057
OS Grid: SS933680
Mapcode National: GBR HG.QV0Z
Mapcode Global: VH5J4.P1DF
Entry Name: Medieval Cross and associated Slab in the Churchyard of the Church of St Donat
Listing Date: 22 February 1963
Last Amended: 19 January 2005
Source ID: 13330
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: On the south side of the church and about 10m from it.
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Community: St. Donats (Sain Dunwyd)
Community: St. Donats
Locality: St Donats
Built-Up Area: St Donat's
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Medieval churchyard cross, probably later C15 in origin and seemingly wholly of medieval parts except for the base step and its lip. The cross was restored in c1928 but this could have involved its complete reconstruction with possibly the loss of at least one step. The recusant Stradlings would have protected it from demolition during the Reformation and even later when Cromwell is said to have visited the castle. It has also been suggested that the cross might be the one that was removed from in front of the castle by Dr. Nicholl-Carne between 1862 and 1877, but an apparently early C19 print in the church guidebook seems to show the cross in the churchyard at that time.
Fine Sutton and Querella sandstone with local lias limestone for the steps. Tapering octagonal shaft in square socketstone with broach stops at the angles. This is carried on square base which at the top has stops at the angles and a chamfer; two square steps below this, the lower one with a pronounced lip. The shaft bears an octagonal knop and a canopied head of limestone with a representation of the Crucifixion on one side and, on the other, of the Madonna and Child.
On the ground close to the medieval cross there is a medieval stone slab with incised crosses.
Included and highly graded for its special interest as a complete medieval cross with a rare medieval gravestone beside it.
Other nearby listed buildings