This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4014 / 51°24'4"N
Longitude: -3.5341 / 3°32'2"W
OS Eastings: 293378
OS Northings: 168044
OS Grid: SS933680
Mapcode National: GBR HG.QV2B
Mapcode Global: VH5J4.P1HJ
Entry Name: Cottage against the south-east wall of the Churchyard of the Church of St Donat
Listing Date: 10 September 1982
Last Amended: 19 January 2005
Source ID: 13331
Building Class: Domestic
Location: About 30m south of the church but looking south down the cwm.
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Community: St. Donats (Sain Dunwyd)
Community: St. Donats
Locality: St Donats
Built-Up Area: St Donat's
Traditional County: Glamorgan
A cottage which is possibly late C16 in origin, with the north and west walls dating from that period, and which was probably renovated in the early C20. It is shown as a ruin on OS second edition of 1899 but not shown on the Tithe Map of 1848 (probably because it belonged to the parish and did not pay tithes). Its close connection to the church might suggest that it was used by a parish official. The building has been repaired and re-roofed since listing in 1982.
Local lias limestone random rubble walls, with a Welsh slate roof with stack to the south-west gable; stone copings. Single storey, possibly with a basement at the south-west end. The front elevation (south) has two single light windows with chamfered frames and a 4-centred arch doorway with ledged door to right hand. Flight of steps down to high south-west gable wall with single light window to main floor. Single light window lighting fireplace recess in rear (churchyard) wall.
Interior not seen at resurvey, but the previous list description reported a chamfered fireplace with semi-elliptical head, with probably a garderobe beside it.
Included for its special interest as a C16 cottage having close association with the Church of St. Donat, and as a reminder of the otherwise demolished St. Donats village.
Other nearby listed buildings