This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7739 / 51°46'26"N
Longitude: -3.2997 / 3°17'58"W
OS Eastings: 310420
OS Northings: 209160
OS Grid: SO104091
Mapcode National: GBR YT.ZD4N
Mapcode Global: VH6CS.RNFZ
Plus Code: 9C3RQPF2+H4
Entry Name: Nos 1-13 (consec) Middle Row & attached Windsor Arms PH
Listing Date: 24 July 1973
Last Amended: 15 May 2001
Source ID: 13548
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Bute Town is situated SW of Rhymney Bridge, W of Llechryd and off the A469, reached by a short drive; Middle Row is the middle of the 3 terraces.
Community: Rhymney (Rhymni)
Locality: Bute Town
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Union Ironworks were established on the other (E) side of the Rhymney River c1800-02, soon becoming the property of the Crawshay Ironmasters, managed by Richard Johnson. In 1825 a new ironworks was begun on the opposite bank on land owned by the Marquis of Bute, with their notable Egyptian furnaces 'adapted from the most striking part of the ruins of Dandyra in Upper Egypt' built by McCulloch; in 1828 an exhibition of drawings and engravings of the structures was displayed at the Royal Academy. These terraces were built nearby to house the ironworkers. Constructed to a high standard, the plan was probably based on James Adams' planned village at Lowther in Cumbria of 1765. Originally conceived as a larger model village; the foundations of a fourth row were laid to S but the exhaustion of the ironworkings did not justify its development. On Rhymney Ironworks Company map dated 1838, the year after the company was formed though the map was later, the settlement is called New Town; it later became known as Bute Town. Pond to provide water to drive the blast water wheel is shown to W; this is still in existence though reshaped. OS map of 1873-5 shows the Rhymney Branch of the London and NW Railway passing to W. Since listing in 1973 and a renovation programme in 1979 the terraces have gradually recovered a more homogeneous appearance eg removal of pebbledash cladding from some exteriors and standardisation of windows into 2-pane horned sashes and doors now all boarded with a glazed panel. This applies only to frontages; to rear and sides windows have not been standardised. The original windows are however likely to have been similar to the small pane iron framed windows in the Museum on Lower Row and the masonry to have been rendered.
Terrace of 2 and 3 storey early C19 ironworkers' houses, similar to terraces of Collins and Lower Rows. Plan of two outer bays and central 3-storey bay all projecting with recessed bays between. Thus from SW (left) end: left bay Nos.1 and 2, centre bay Nos.7,8,8a,9, and end right bay the Windsor Arms PH all project. Each house except the central range and PH has a single window range and door; the central houses are in pairs, each pair share a 3-window range (centre windows blocked in each case) with outer doorways, there are 4 numbers to this bay as elsewhere. Across all 3 terraces the plan is very nearly but not quite symmetrical. Built of roughly coursed stone rubble with shallow pitched hipped roofs of stone slates, separate hipped roof to the centre range, chunky ridge stacks mostly shared; deep overhanging boarded eaves. Windows are horned sashes without glazing bars, yellow brick sills. Boarded doors, mostly recessed, have a glazed panel. Openings have slightly cambered heads, some with iron lintels showing, with rough voussoirs and surrounds.
Nos.1 and 2 project with doors to left, 1 stack. Nos.3-6 are recessed, doors to Nos.3 and 4 are to left, doors to Nos.5 and 6 are to right, 3 stacks. Nos.7-9, the 3-storey central bay, project - one doorway is un-numbered, actually No.8a, with 2 broad stacks. Nos.10-13 are recessed, doors to Nos.10,11,12 are to left, door to No.13 is to right, 4 stacks. The Windsor Arms PH projects, a 3-window range to each floor and doorway centre right, no stacks. Outshuts and walled gardens to rear.
Original interior plan of two rooms on each floor, double depths, with fireplaces in each room and spiral staircase beside.
Listed, notwithstanding external changes in character, as amongst the earliest planned industrial housing in the Welsh Valleys. Group value with other listed buildings at Bute Town.
Other nearby listed buildings