This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4662 / 51°27'58"N
Longitude: -3.1848 / 3°11'5"W
OS Eastings: 317794
OS Northings: 174804
OS Grid: ST177748
Mapcode National: GBR KGS.VC
Mapcode Global: VH6FD.RD5V
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Paul.
Listing Date: 19 May 1975
Last Amended: 18 November 1997
Source ID: 13770
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: On NE corner of Paget St and St Fagan's Street.
Built-Up Area: Cardiff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Designed 1888 by J P Seddon and J Coates Carter, architects, to replace iron church of 1879, on land donated by Lord Windsor who also gave £4000 towards cost of church. Nave and aisles built 1889-91; chancel 1901-2, at further expense to Lord Windsor of £3000. Projected tower and steeple never built. The church is interesting for the early use of concrete aggregate materials in its construction.
Church in Geometrical Decorated style. Grey Pennant stone with dressings and banding of pink sandstone and Portland cement with pink pebble aggregate. Continuous tiled roof over nave and chancel. Nave, chancel, aisles, base of uncompleted tower. West front has 2 polygonal turrets with pyramidal roofs above arcading, niches for statues (not executed). Four-light Decorated window above gabled tripartite doorway with grey shafts to arches (gable flanked by flushwork). Side elevations of 5 cross-gabled bays with tall 2-light windows with quatrefoils, oculi in gables, lancets to E and W aisle returns. East window of 5 lights (mandorla above in gable apex). Chancel elevations of 3 bays, three 3-light windows to N, to S, two 3-light windows, and stump of uncompleted tower with has battered angle buttresses and tall arcaded panel. Vestry to S of chancel.
Lofty five bay nave with tall slender piers, 3-bay chancel at same height. Boarded roofs to nave and chancel of trefoil section, tie-beams and arch-braces on pointed corbels, boarded ceilings to aisles. Panelled wood fittings to chancel. Wooden pulpit with sculpted figures, and choir stalls by Coates Carter. Stained glass in E (war memorial) window; main theme is crucifixion, with, at base of window, panels of trench scene, artillery, seaplane, merchant ship; by Burlison & Grylls, 1920.
Listed as well-designed church by well-known local architect.
Other nearby listed buildings