This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.519 / 51°31'8"N
Longitude: -3.1144 / 3°6'51"W
OS Eastings: 322776
OS Northings: 180594
OS Grid: ST227805
Mapcode National: GBR KZ5.LG
Mapcode Global: VH6F7.Y2XW
Plus Code: 9C3RGV9P+H7
Entry Name: Quarry Hill House
Listing Date: 13 January 1976
Last Amended: 27 June 2000
Source ID: 14087
Building Class: Domestic
Location: At the end of a short drive and looking S to playing fields at St Illtyd's RC school.
Community: Rumney (Tredelerch)
Built-Up Area: Cardiff
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Building of the house commenced in 1850, by Joseph Benjamin Hemingway, who died at Quarry Hill House in 1856 and is commemorated by a large monument in St Mellons churchyard close to S porch; he is described there as contractor, born in Dewsbury Yorkshire. Work completed by Matthew Cope; his descendant, the last private owner, Lord Cope, died 1948. House reported as having been gutted by fire before late C20 conversion to a nursing home with none of the C19 and early C20 features referred to in original list description surviving. Building was substantially extended before listing by the addition of a wing matching the original in style though not shown on a photograph of 1920. The balustraded parapet shown in this photograph and as described in list description now only comprises a vestigial baluster against the wall at each side. Coach-house and stable wings referred to in previous list description have been replaced by accommodation blocks.
Gentleman's residence converted to a nursing home. Entirely rendered with shallow pitched hipped Welsh slate roof, 2 yellow brick ridge stacks, boarded overhanging eaves; eaves band, end pilasters, plinth. Most windows are 18-pane sashes with narrow glazing bars, moulded architraves to ground floor, shaped sills to first floor. Entrance frontage of 3 bays has centre doorway with architrave and cornice on consoles, panelled door with overlight; large prostyle portico formerly with balustraded parapet, vestiges only remaining. Garden elevation (S) of 7 bays, though only 4 show on 1920 photo with the 2 outer bays projecting, each with hipped roof; ground floor windows to the 2 centre recessed bays are French casements with moulded architrave and cornice on consoles. 3-bay extension to W has similar windows and narrow ground floor doorway. N elevation has a recessed bay between the frontage gable end and a parallel wing; this bay contains a wide tripartite staircase window.
Interior completely refurbished after gutting by fire. Previous listing description refers to a cellar with flagged stone floor and cellar staircase.
Listed notwithstanding loss of interior fittings as an imposing mid C19 gentleman's residence retaining its external character.
Other nearby listed buildings