This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0438 / 52°2'37"N
Longitude: -4.5161 / 4°30'58"W
OS Eastings: 227540
OS Northings: 241371
OS Grid: SN275413
Mapcode National: GBR D5.FJG9
Mapcode Global: VH2MY.NWVK
Plus Code: 9C4Q2FVM+GH
Entry Name: The Old Vicarage
Listing Date: 2 March 1994
Last Amended: 2 March 1994
Source ID: 14227
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on ridge, up track off main road some 700m E of village.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
An unusual C19 vicarage; the plan with an ornamental S entrance front also appears at Brunant, Cyffig, Carmarthenshire, a shooting lodge of the 1840s built for Morgan Jones of Cilwendeg, Boncath, Pembrokeshire. The old church of Cenarth had a cross on the E end, probably the one now on the vicarage porch according to Sir S Glynne's 1855 description, but the two heads within the house (if medieval at all) are not mentioned. They are unlikely to have come from the old church, which was not demolished until 1869.
1855 former vicarage, in coursed grey Cilgerran stone with cut-stone dressings and slate deep-eaved roof. Two truncated side-wall stacks. Square plan. Basement, two storeys and attic. Broad E and W gables with large fretted bargeboards, while the S entrance front with porch is largely decorative. S front has two long false windows each in chamfered pointed recesses with cusped heads and with similar chamfered pointed surrounds. Marginal glazing bars and transom. Centre big porch with coped shouldered gable and medieval cross finial (probably the one from the E gable of the former church), chamfered Tudor-arched entry up three slate steps, roughcast interior and big 4-panel door with Gothic-traceried overlight. Stained glass panel of eye in triangle. Above porch, projecting chimney stepped in twice to base of removed shaft with reset 1855 plaque. In first floor chimney projection, small window with marginal glazing bars.
Garden (W) Front: Small-paned, timber mullion and transom windows to main floor with chamfered surrounds, stone voussoirs to flat heads and relieving arches. Basement, stone plinth, 3-light window to ground floor left, big canted bay window to right, two three-light windows to first floor and two pointed windows to attic, one with original small panes. N side has centre projecting chimney breast and truncated stack. E side, to rear court, has 3-bay front with windows similar to those on W, 2-light, door and 3-light to ground floor, two two-light windows and one three-light to first floor, attic casement pair to centre and single light each side.
Cross-passage from S to N, with Tudor arch supported by two medieval style carved heads, said to have come from old church but possibly made of plaster. Slate Gothic fireplaces in the two W rooms, more elaborate in SW room, and folding shutters. Stair in centre of E side to centre first floor landing, and continuing to attic. Extensive cellars with centre well, former kitchen in basement NW.
An unusual C19 vicarage.
Other nearby listed buildings