This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7726 / 51°46'21"N
Longitude: -3.1048 / 3°6'17"W
OS Eastings: 323868
OS Northings: 208789
OS Grid: SO238087
Mapcode National: GBR F2.ZDJ3
Mapcode Global: VH79C.4QH0
Entry Name: Office
Listing Date: 9 February 1995
Last Amended: 9 February 1995
Source ID: 15285
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Built into the hillside at the north-east end of the site, at right angles to and adjoining the electrical workshops.
Community: Blaenavon (Blaenafon)
Locality: Big Pit Mining Museum
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Built c 1900. Big Pit was operated in connection with Blaenavon Ironworks, then by the National Coal Board from 1947 to 1980. Underground workings date from the early C19 but the shaft on this site was sunk in 1860. The present surface structures date from between c1900 and the 1970's. This piecemeal development was typical of mines in South Wales and it is now the most complete remaining, having been reopened as a museum in 1983.
Whitewashed rectangular building, two-storey to north-west and single storey to south-east. The lower storey is stone built and has a single opening with iron lintel. The upper storey is brick throughout, and shows three phases of construction. Windows have segmental brick arches and brick sills. The slate roof is hipped at its north-east end and has ridge tiles and two red brick chimneys.
The corridor connecting the offices has a ceramic tiled floor. The offices themselves were not accessible.
Included for group value with other listed items at this exceptionally complete colliery site.
Other nearby listed buildings