This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7728 / 51°46'22"N
Longitude: -3.1051 / 3°6'18"W
OS Eastings: 323843
OS Northings: 208817
OS Grid: SO238088
Mapcode National: GBR F2.ZDDQ
Mapcode Global: VH79C.4P9T
Plus Code: 9C3RQVFV+4W
Entry Name: Reception (Fitting Shops)
Listing Date: 9 February 1995
Last Amended: 9 February 1995
Source ID: 15288
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated at the northern end of the site.
Community: Blaenavon (Blaenafon)
Locality: Big Pit Mining Museum
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
The eastern building was opened in 1910 and originally housed lathes and drills for repairing equipment. It is currently acting as the museum reception. The western building was added in 1917. Big Pit was operated in connection with Blaenavon Ironworks, then by the National Coal Board from 1947 to 1980. Underground workings date from the early C19 but the shaft on this site was sunk in 1860. The present surface structures date from between c1900 and the 1970's. This piecemeal development was typical of mines in South Wales and it is now the most complete remaining, having been reopened as a museum in 1983.
Pair of single storey, rectangular buildings. The west building has four bays and is slightly shorter than that to the east, which has five bays. Snecked stone construction, with plinth running across the base of both buildings. The main gable of the earlier (east) building has a central tramway door, flanked by tall sash windows with window above. Return elevation to east has five bays, fourth bay has doorway, others have sash windows. These openings formed as segmental stone arches with stone sills. Metal ventilation grill below each. Rear gable has single large window with segmental arch and brick dressing. The pitched slate roof has tiled ridge; wooden brackets in verges. The later (west) building is similar. Main gable has only one window. Rear gable has tramway door with brick dressings and window above.
Steel joist trusses to the roof. Otherwise fitted out as a gift shop.
Included as a well preserved example of a traditional stone-built ancillary building of the South Wales coal industry.
Group value with other listed items at this exceptionally complete colliery site.
Other nearby listed buildings