This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9261 / 52°55'33"N
Longitude: -4.2053 / 4°12'19"W
OS Eastings: 251850
OS Northings: 338794
OS Grid: SH518387
Mapcode National: GBR 5L.MQY6
Mapcode Global: WH55K.CQQ5
Plus Code: 9C4QWQGV+CV
Entry Name: Wash House
Listing Date: 12 December 1994
Last Amended: 12 December 1994
Source ID: 15357
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Set back from the road 2km approx, to the E of the town, and 0.5km approx. Down a track.
Community: Criccieth (Cricieth)
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
The house is said to have been built at the end of the C16 by Ellis ap Cadwaladr (b.1557), who had acquired the property from the Crown. The house was later extended with the addition of a wing to the NW. Until remodelling work in the late 1940s, a date inscription of 1729 was visible in a blocked window to the rear of the original range, and a dated stone found in the garden (of 1720) is though to provide the likely date for the additions to the house. The roof of the main range was raised at some time, possibly in the early C19, and the fenestration was probably renewed at about the same period. Various minor alterations (including the insertion of a number of additional windows, and some modifications to the internal arrangement of rooms) were carried out c1946 by J.Egbert Griffiths of Porthmadog.
The original building is aligned NE-SW, and is a 2-storeyed, large 2-unit house, with central service room, extended to the NW with a wing housing the stairhall and a further principal room. Rough slate rubble construction, and modern slate roof, with plain overhanging eaves. Rear wall and right hand gable stacks. Main range faces SE, with low and narrow central entrance in roughly semi-circular cyclopaean archway. This aligns with a further entrance in the rear wall (the present entrance). 2 storeys, 4 irregularly spaced 16-pane sash windows to first floor, roughly aligned with lower windows (one on each floor a C20 insertion). Narrow 12-pane sash window alongside doorway, and paired 16-pane sash windows to its right (formerly a tripartite sash window). Stack on rear wall of main range, with 16-pane sash windows on each floor alongside it. Similar windows in gable end. Wing also has 2x16-pane sash windows on each floor in its SW elevation, with doorway to right of centre and single sash windows to right of entrance on each floor, lighting the staircase. Projecting side wall stack to NE elevation of wing, with cellar entrance alongside it, and doorway up steps towards the centre, with panelled door in moulded architrave, inserted c1946; 16-pane sash window above.
Lower extensions to NE of main range, terminating in a higher gabled cross range (probably formerly a stable and loft), with central door and flanking windows in NE elevation, and external staircase to loft doorway in NW gable. The courtyard is enclosed on the NW side by a wash house: single storeyed, with door and single 6-pane sash window to SE elevation, and tall stack on gable end.
The earliest part of the house comprises a 2 room plan with central service room or wide internal through passage between the main rooms. Run-out stops to chamfered beams in NE room (the present kitchen); heavy beams panel the ceiling of the SW room - the beams and joists all have run-out chamfer stops. Rear wall fireplace incorporates coats of arms in the panelled surround (Collwyn ap Tangno and Owain Gwynedd) - the lower panels (German Renaissance reliefs), and the Delft tiled surround, were inserted c1946. Staircase in rear wing probably dates from the extension and remodelling of the house in 1729 but has almost certainly been realigned since - turned balusters, moulded strings and rail, square newel posts and fielded panelled dado. Massive roof truss in SW section of main range of queen strut and collar type - the present roofline not aligned with it. The 3 trusses of the wing appear to be a later type - Queen Post and collar - and the 2 trusses in the NE part of the main range are similar.
Ystumllyn incorporates an important example of a C16 house, probably one of the first generation of storeyed houses in the region. The C18 extension and alterations also represent high quality vernacular work of the period, and the character of the house remians defined by these 2 principal phases of construction, with only minor subsequent change.
Other nearby listed buildings