History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Carreg and Pilkington Tombs

A Grade II Listed Building in Dolbenmaen, Gwynedd

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9261 / 52°55'34"N

Longitude: -4.1945 / 4°11'40"W

OS Eastings: 252576

OS Northings: 338778

OS Grid: SH525387

Mapcode National: GBR 5M.MMK3

Mapcode Global: WH55K.JQT4

Entry Name: Carreg and Pilkington Tombs

Listing Date: 30 March 1999

Last Amended: 30 March 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 21553

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: The two railed tombs are close to the S side of the nave of the Church of St Cynhaearn.

County: Gwynedd

Town: Dolbenmaen

Community: Dolbenmaen

Community: Dolbenmaen

Locality: Ystumllyn

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Criccieth

History

The two tombs were erected in the mid C19.

Exterior

The tombs are in separate railed enclosures. The W contains 2 slate chest tombs, the ledger slab moulded along the edges, and sides with engraved panels, all set on a plinth of slate. The N tomb is for Edward Carreg, surgeon to the Caernarfonshire Militia, later coroner for the county, d.1842, aged 57, and eldest son, also Edward, d.1855. The S chest tomb is to Margaret Dorathea Carreg, about whom nothing is said, d.1839. The two are closely set within fine 2m tall cast iron railings with baluster stanchions capped with urns, and intermediate square rails with fleur terminals, cast by the John Jones Foundry of Portmadoc. Immediately to the E, a further tomb, low set ledger of slate, inscribed to Elizabeth, wife of Major Pilkington of Ty Nannau, d.1842, Mary Waterhouse added. This tomb is enclosed in similar cast iron railings, c1.5m high, probably by the same foundry.

Reasons for Listing

Included as fine chest tombs in a well furnished graveyard, of special interest for the cast iron work of a local foundry.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Monuments to John Williams and Ellis Owen
    The two monuments stand immediately outside the W door of St Cynhaearn's church, on the right side of the path to the lychgate.
  • II* Church of St Cynhaearn
    The church stands alone on the former island in Llyn Ystumllyn, approx 900m S of Pentrefelin, and is reached by a track from the village.
  • II Tomb of David Owen
    The tomb is located in the churchyard of the Church of St Cynhaearn, set at the W end against the SE boundary wall.
  • II Gravestone of John Ystymllyn
    The headstone stands in the churchyard of the church of St Cynhaearn, on the N side of the path from the lychgate.
  • II Lychgate to the Church of St Cynhaearn
    St Cynhaearn stands isolated approximately 900m S of Pentrefelin village. The lychgate stands in front of the churchyard wall and provides the entrance to the rectangular churchyard from the SW.
  • II* Former Stables
    Set back from the road 2km approx, to the E of the town, and 0.5km approx. Down a track.
  • II* Ystumllyn
    Set back from the road 2km approx, to the E of the town, and 0.5km approx. Down a track.
  • II* Wash House
    Set back from the road 2km approx, to the E of the town, and 0.5km approx. Down a track.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.