History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Monuments to John Williams and Ellis Owen

A Grade II Listed Building in Dolbenmaen, Gwynedd

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9262 / 52°55'34"N

Longitude: -4.1946 / 4°11'40"W

OS Eastings: 252570

OS Northings: 338784

OS Grid: SH525387

Mapcode National: GBR 5M.MMK2

Mapcode Global: WH55K.JQS2

Plus Code: 9C4QWRG4+F5

Entry Name: Monuments to John Williams and Ellis Owen

Listing Date: 30 March 1999

Last Amended: 30 March 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 21527

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: The two monuments stand immediately outside the W door of St Cynhaearn's church, on the right side of the path to the lychgate.

County: Gwynedd

Town: Dolbenmaen

Community: Dolbenmaen

Community: Dolbenmaen

Locality: Ystumllyn

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Criccieth

History

Both monuments were erected c1868 - 1878 to commemorate two famous local bards, Ellis Owen and John Williams (Ioan Madog), bardd godidog, who were members of the Cymdeithas Lenyddol Cefnymeysydd, a local salon set up to promote and further the study and creation of literary, musical and the poetic arts.

Exterior

Two pink granite tombstones standing side by side, that to the W comprising a cubic die set on a moulded base, with a cornice carrying a stepped cross, all enclosed in low cast iron railings with fleur terminals. The second, to the E, consists of a short column with a cavetto-sided conical apex carrying a turned vase. One inscribed to John Williams [Ioan Madog], bardd godidog, d.1878, the second to Ellis Owen of Cefn Meusydd, d.1868, both being well known literary figures in S Caernarfonshire in the 3rd quarter of the C19.

Reasons for Listing

Included as good C19 monuments to important local literary figures of the period.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Carreg and Pilkington Tombs
    The two railed tombs are close to the S side of the nave of the Church of St Cynhaearn.
  • II* Church of St Cynhaearn
    The church stands alone on the former island in Llyn Ystumllyn, approx 900m S of Pentrefelin, and is reached by a track from the village.
  • II Gravestone of John Ystymllyn
    The headstone stands in the churchyard of the church of St Cynhaearn, on the N side of the path from the lychgate.
  • II Tomb of David Owen
    The tomb is located in the churchyard of the Church of St Cynhaearn, set at the W end against the SE boundary wall.
  • II Lychgate to the Church of St Cynhaearn
    St Cynhaearn stands isolated approximately 900m S of Pentrefelin village. The lychgate stands in front of the churchyard wall and provides the entrance to the rectangular churchyard from the SW.
  • II* Former Stables
    Set back from the road 2km approx, to the E of the town, and 0.5km approx. Down a track.
  • II* Ystumllyn
    Set back from the road 2km approx, to the E of the town, and 0.5km approx. Down a track.
  • II* Wash House
    Set back from the road 2km approx, to the E of the town, and 0.5km approx. Down a track.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.