This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9805 / 52°58'49"N
Longitude: -3.374 / 3°22'26"W
OS Eastings: 307842
OS Northings: 343452
OS Grid: SJ078434
Mapcode National: GBR 6P.J8WT
Mapcode Global: WH781.4BLY
Entry Name: Post Office
Listing Date: 1 February 1995
Last Amended: 1 February 1995
Source ID: 15515
Building Class: Communications
Location: On the corner of High Street and Pen y Bryn, the sorting office forming a rear wing parallel to Pen y Bryn.
Built-Up Area: Corwen
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Built as a house c1750. Extended for use as a post office in 1936.
Coursed and squared stone with slate roof. The original building is 2 storeyed with attic, a 3-window range with full-height canted bay windows to either side of the present entrance. The right hand bay was renewed, probably in 1936, and the left hand bay obscured by the single storeyed extension which forms the main frontage of the post office and which is dated 1936. 12-pane sash windows with flat arched voussoir heads in each face in the first floor. 12-pane sash window over the entrance. 3 wide gabled dormers in the roof appear to be reconstructions, possibly enlarging earlier windows. Single storeyed post-office extension to left: 3 bays articulated by pilasters, with paired doors with metal glazed overlight to right, and large multi-paned windows to the left. Moulded cornice and blocking course. Similar side door in porch to sorting office range, which forms rear wing to right hand side, with clerestory glazing.
The ground floor was extensively remodelled on conversion to a post office, and the ceiling beams, carried on brackets, date from 1936. One room retains some C18 fittings, including moulded plaster cornice and panelled spine beam.
A fine C18 town house, its conversion and extension as a post office is an interesting exercise in the Neo-Georgian favoured for public buildings in the 1930's.
Other nearby listed buildings