History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bridge 127 over the Montgomeryshire Canal

A Grade II Listed Building in Berriew, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6047 / 52°36'16"N

Longitude: -3.1915 / 3°11'29"W

OS Eastings: 319405

OS Northings: 301434

OS Grid: SJ194014

Mapcode National: GBR 9Y.8WDT

Mapcode Global: WH79V.YSDJ

Entry Name: Bridge 127 over the Montgomeryshire Canal

Listing Date: 21 August 1995

Last Amended: 21 August 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 16337

Building Class: Transport

Location: Carries a field track across the canal, 400m approx. NE of bridge 128 and the B4390 road into Berriew.

County: Powys

Community: Berriew (Aberriw)

Community: Berriew

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Berriew

History

Probably built 1794-7 as part of the first phase of construction of the Montgomeryshire Canal, which was completed as far as Garthmyl in these years. Parapets and part of the N face of the bridge later rebuilt, possibly as part of a programme of works carried out by the Shropshire Union Railways and Canal Company towards the end of the C19.

Exterior

Single span brick arched bridge. Rendered red brick lower structure, including segmental archway. Blue brick repair work to N side, and to parapets above string course. Curved stone copings to parapet, and terminal piers.

Reasons for Listing

A typical example of the bridge design associated with the Montgomeryshire Canal, which also shows a typical pattern of repair.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Berriew Lock
    Situated 150m approx. N of bridge 128 which carries the B4390 over the canal 0.5km approx. NE of Berriew village.
  • II Lock Cottage
    Situated 150m approx. N of bridge 128 which carries the B4390 over the canal 0.5km approx. NE of Berriew village, on the east side of the canal at Berriew Lock.
  • II Bridge 128 over the Montgomeryshire Canal
    Carries the B4390 over the canal 0.5km approx. NE of Berriew village.
  • II Upper Rectory Farmhouse
    Set back from the B4390, on the NE edge of the village.
  • II Barn at upper Rectory Farm
    On the west side of the drive leading to Upper Rectory Farmhouse.
  • II Bridge 126 over the Mongomeryshire Canal
    Carries the lane leading from the main A483 to Upper Luggy Farmhouse, S of the Horseshoes Inn at Brithdir.
  • II Milepost
    Opposite Pool Road Cottage at the side of the road.
  • II The Smithy
    On the corner of Church Terrace and the B4390 road out of the village to the NE.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.