This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8161 / 51°48'57"N
Longitude: -3.0447 / 3°2'41"W
OS Eastings: 328080
OS Northings: 213564
OS Grid: SO280135
Mapcode National: GBR F4.WWYP
Mapcode Global: VH796.5MQ5
Plus Code: 9C3RRX84+C4
Entry Name: Llanfoist House (including subdivided parts)
Listing Date: 15 March 1996
Last Amended: 15 March 1996
Source ID: 17232
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Now subdivided and reached from separate private drives from north-west and south-east. Faces east.
Community: Llanfoist Fawr (Llan-ffwyst Fawr)
Community: Llanfoist Fawr
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
C17 origins remodelled and enlarged in later C18 probably for John Chambre (he died in 1777 and the house was in approximately its present form by 1793 as it is shown in a print of that date). Further improvements carried out when it was the home of Crawshay Bailey in mid C19. The house was extended in 1921 and then altered in recent subdivision. Formerly known as Ty Mawr.
Crawshay Bailey I (1789 - 1872) was an especially important figure in the industrial history of South Wales being a leading ironmaster, pioneer of the coal industry, promoter of railways and also MP for Newport. He retired to Llanfoist House and died on 9th January 1872.
Substantial mid-Georgian 3-storey, double-pile, house. The original house has a symmetrical 5-window rendered front with stone quoins, plat bands and a coved and bracketed eaves cornice under a hipped slate roof; chimneys removed. Small-pane sash windows with gently cambered heads and keystones to 1st and ground floors; horned 9-pane to 2nd floor and 12-pane below. Central entrance with massive panelled double doors and plain overlight; formerly with broad porch. Stepped down to left is the 1920's extension in similar style and given a Doric doorcase. Various extensions and modern alterations to rear but retaining a sash window with marginal glazing to centre; brick chimneys. Conservatory added to right hand side.
The right hand part retains substantial C18/C19 character whilst retaining evidence of its sub-medieval origins. Some damage however has occured through the subdividision into separate dwellings. 6-panel doors and panelled shutters throughout together with the reuse of some oak timbers. The coved entrance hall with dado is Minton tiled and this leads to the staircase which appear to have been narrowed when the dividing wall was inserted. It retains turned scrolled newel, swept-up handrail, turned balusters with annulettes and plaster roundels to half landing. Drawing room to right has plaster panelled walls and an ornate cornice with vine trails. Cellar with one barrel vaulted chamber. Left hand part of the house retains some C17 beams to dining-room; drawing room has marbled fireplace and a cornice similar to that in right hand part.
Listed as a substantial house of early origin with good C18 and C19 remodelling and for its historic interest as the home of the great iron-master Crawshay Bailey.
Other nearby listed buildings