History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bank of three Limekilns to rear of Kiln Lodge

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanfoist Fawr (Llan-ffwyst Fawr), Monmouthshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.8177 / 51°49'3"N

Longitude: -3.0539 / 3°3'14"W

OS Eastings: 327451

OS Northings: 213750

OS Grid: SO274137

Mapcode National: GBR F4.WM3T

Mapcode Global: VH796.0KWY

Plus Code: 9C3RRW9W+3C

Entry Name: Bank of three Limekilns to rear of Kiln Lodge

Listing Date: 15 March 1996

Last Amended: 15 March 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17636

Building Class: Industrial

Location: In the garden above Kiln Lodge to the east of Govilon on the road that runs south-west towards Blaenavon; near the railway viaduct over the B 4246 and set immediately below the canal.

County: Monmouthshire

Community: Llanfoist Fawr (Llan-ffwyst Fawr)

Community: Llanfoist Fawr

Locality: Govilon

Traditional County: Monmouthshire

Find accommodation in


History: Early C19 bank of limekilns associated with the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal and close to Govilon Wharf. It is probably contemporary with the section completed in 1805 under Thomas Cartwright although as it is close to the break in construction it may have been built during the 1812 works.

The canal was promoted in 1792 and construction began in 1797 but it ceased in 1800 having completed the sections west of Gilwern. The section to the Blaenavon Road east of Govilon was not completed until 1805, under Thomas Cartwright as engineer. Further funds had to be raised and the last section from west of Llanfoist to Pontymoile was opened in 1812, with William Crosley as engineer. The canal was an important artery for trade in iron from the works in the north-eastern corner of the coalfield, and for lime and coal to supply the Usk valley.

Description: Large bank of three limekilns built of local stone and with pilaster strips between each kiln. High, ramped, revetment wall (approximately 6.5m) with segmental-arched deep openings (eyes) which have voussoirs and keystones; the central kiln has a pair of 'eyes' while the flanking kilns have single apertures. The height of the openings (approximately 1.6m) has been reduced by the raised grassed bank of the Kiln Lodge garden. Immediately to the right of the paired kiln is a narrower and taller opening in the form of a cylindrical flue; perhaps originally a charging hole. Listed as a fine example of an early C19 bank of limekilns and for its associations with the canal.

References: D D & J M Gladwin, The Canals of the Welsh Valleys and their Tramroads, (Oakwood Press, 1991), p. 11-16.
R A Stevens, Brecknock & Abergavenny and Monmouthshire Canals (Towpath Guide No 2), (Cambridge,1974), p49-55.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.