This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8178 / 51°49'4"N
Longitude: -3.0531 / 3°3'10"W
OS Eastings: 327509
OS Northings: 213764
OS Grid: SO275137
Mapcode National: GBR F4.WMBC
Mapcode Global: VH796.1KBV
Plus Code: 9C3RRW9W+4Q
Entry Name: Quarry Bridge (Canal Bridge no 96)
Listing Date: 15 March 1996
Last Amended: 15 March 1996
Source ID: 17637
Building Class: Transport
Location: Spanning the canal to the east of the Blaenavon road.
Community: Llanfoist Fawr (Llan-ffwyst Fawr)
Community: Llanfoist Fawr
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
History: The Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal was promoted in 1792 to connect the upper Usk valley to the Monmouthshire Canal at Pontymoile and from there to the sea at Newport. Construction began in 1797, with Thomas Dadford as engineer, and the first section, from Gilwern to Llangynidr was completed in that year with the stretch as far as Brecon following in 1800. Work then stopped for a time with the result that the section to the Blaenavon Road east of Govilon was not completed until 1805, now with Thomas Cartwright as engineer. Further funds had to be raised and the last section from west of Llanfoist to Pontymoile was completed between 1809 and 1812, with William Crosley as engineer. Linked to tramroads, the canal was an important artery for trade in iron, lime and coal. In 1865 the Monmouthshire and the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal Companies merged becoming the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal Company. Later still the canal was bought out by the Great Western Railway and gradually the canal was run down until it was finally abandoned in 1962. Restoration work was begun in 1964 and is still ongoing.
Description: Being east of the Blaenavon road this bridge lies at the start of the section begun in 1809 by William Crosley. Single arch rubble canal bridge of the 'change-over' type switching the tow-path back to the north side; it had been taken over to the south side to allow for the construction of Govilon Wharf. Randomly-coursed rubble bridge with flat segmental arches and keystones. Ramped parapets with dressed stone coping, sweep out to each corner. Single-track cobbled deck. GWR sign missing but iron post retained. Disused sandstone quarry (Govilon Quarry) to south.
Listed for its special interest as a surviving early C19 Brecknock and Abergavenny canal 'change-over' bridge.
References: Nicholson's guides to the Waterways, vol 3, South-west
R A Stevens, Brecknock & Abergavenny and Monmouthshire Canals (Towpath Guide No 2), (Cambridge, 1974), p52.
Other nearby listed buildings