This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6185 / 51°37'6"N
Longitude: -3.4261 / 3°25'34"W
OS Eastings: 301361
OS Northings: 192042
OS Grid: ST013920
Mapcode National: GBR HL.9BXT
Mapcode Global: VH6DH.KLL2
Plus Code: 9C3RJH9F+CH
Entry Name: Monument to William Evans
Listing Date: 24 February 1997
Last Amended: 24 February 1997
Source ID: 18269
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: The monument is on the N side of the so-called Millionaires' Row, the E/W cemetery lane with the grandest monuments, set in the hillside N of the cemetery chapel.
County: Rhondda Cynon Taff
Locality: Trealaw Cemetery
Built-Up Area: Tonypandy
Traditional County: Glamorgan
William Evans 1864 - 1934, born in Pembrokeshire, was the major partner of the famous firm of Thomas and Evans of Porth, which supplied many kinds of goods to the Rhondda and beyond, the town centre of Porth being dominated in the early C20 by their purpose-built shops, warehouses and factories, including the Welsh Hills Works aerated water plant later marketing soft drinks under the Corona label, and their central shop and office building in Hannah Street. William Evans lived at Bronwydd, Porth, donated adjacent land for a public park, and is commemorated there by a bronze bust. He represented Porth on Glamorgan County Council for 24 years, served on Appeals Tribunal in First World War and was appointed to Justice Bench in 1920. This is the burial place of both William Evans and his wife, Annie.
The classical memorial is of grey marble with raised gilded lettering. At the base is a panelled vault with the family name in large relief capitals flanked by urns. On this stands a monument comprising a panelled plinth bearing a text on one side and supporting 4 square section fluted piers with moulded plinths and capitals which enclose panels with commemorative inscriptions to William died 1934 aged 70 and Annie died 1949 aged 81, surmounted by an urn; the piers support a four sided pedimented cornice also surmounted by an urn. No monumental mason's name is visible, but other monuments obscure base to sides.
Listed especially for its historic interest in commemorating a major local businessman and philanthropist in the heyday of the Rhondda and for group value with Trealaw Cemetery Chapel and monuments to David Evans and Daniel Thomas.
Other nearby listed buildings