This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6178 / 51°37'4"N
Longitude: -3.426 / 3°25'33"W
OS Eastings: 301369
OS Northings: 191960
OS Grid: ST013919
Mapcode National: GBR HL.9BZ5
Mapcode Global: VH6DH.KLPN
Plus Code: 9C3RJH9F+4J
Entry Name: Monument to Daniel Thomas
Listing Date: 24 February 1997
Last Amended: 24 February 1997
Source ID: 18271
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: The monument is on the S side of the lower E/W lane extending east from the S side of the Cemetery Chapel.
County: Rhondda Cynon Taff
Locality: Trealaw Cemetery
Built-Up Area: Tonypandy
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The monument commemorates Daniel Thomas, the proprietor of Dinas Colliery born 1849 died 1894, but is the burial place of miners recovered by Daniel Thomas from mining disasters; he himself was buried at the Independent Chapel Cymmer. The main inscription reads: 'This monument was erected by public subscription as a tribute to the humanity and courage displayed by him on the following occasions. At the inundation of the Tynewydd Colliery in April 1877, by which five men were entombed for ten days. He received from Her Majesty the Queen the Albert Medal of the first class, also the medals of the Knights' Templar of Jerusalem and of the Humane Society. Through his skill and valour he recovered during the years 1881-83 the bodies of 49 miners out of the 63 who lost their lives at the Dinas Colliery explosion January 12th 1879. He succombed to the 'after damp' in his attempts to rescue the ten men who were in the pit when the terrible explosion took place at the Naval colliery Penygraig January 27th 1884.'
The monument stands on a two tiered stone base which has decorative tooling and panelling and is a short white marble cenotaph with 3 engraved panels added: an oval memorial plaque on lane front, the quoted inscription to left, the names of those buried with a further 14 unidentified men to the right; to rear is a black painted bronze bust showing Daniel Thomas and his medals in a cartouche surround by W Davies of Caerphilly with a metal inlaid inscription. It is set in the centre of a grass enclosure with stone kerbs formerly surmounted by railings. Although the lane frontage is to N, the monument was designed with main front to S, facing the Valley and the scene of the incidents commemorated. A plaque records restoration by Dinas Historical Society and photography taken beforehand show the monument in a blackened state but with inscription panels with different lettering and no fixings, suggesting they were re-carved at that time with engraved and painted inscriptions replacing the original lettering.
Listed for its historic interest as a commemoration of Rhondda mining tragedies and heroic rescues and for group value with Trealaw Cemetery Chapel and monuments to David Evans and William Evans.
Other nearby listed buildings