This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7007 / 51°42'2"N
Longitude: -3.039 / 3°2'20"W
OS Eastings: 328293
OS Northings: 200725
OS Grid: SO282007
Mapcode National: GBR J4.4093
Mapcode Global: VH79S.8JR3
Entry Name: Pontypool Register Office
Listing Date: 28 August 1997
Last Amended: 28 August 1997
Source ID: 18844
Building Class: Civil
Location: In Pontypool town centre in a row of listed buildings fronting the Italian Gardens.
Community: Pontymoile (Llanfihangel Pont-y-moel)
Built-Up Area: Pontypool
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
An early C20 office building probably dating from about 1920 and very closely contemporary with St James's Vicarage of 1923 next door. Probably designed by the same architect.
Built of squared limestone rubble with freestone quoins and dressings, probably Bath stone; Welsh slate roof. Two storeys set on a plinth and with a high roof. Simple domestic style. Three bay building with central entrance flanked by projecting canted bays carried up to gables. Three panel double doors in quoined frame and with an overlight divided into narrow panes. To the left of this is a small oval lobby window. Above the door is a stone balcony with large turned balusters and a central block; behind this are glazed French doors with overlight. Flanking the central feature are canted 2-storey ashlar bays with four 6 over 6 sashes to each floor. Gables with applied boarding and plain bargeboards above. Tall hipped roof with tall stack with weathering. Side and rear elevations have plain 6 over 6 sash windows.
Interior not inspected at resurvey November 1996.
Included as part of an especially good group of C19 and early C20 urban buildings on this side of Hanbury Road.
Other nearby listed buildings