This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7008 / 51°42'2"N
Longitude: -3.0392 / 3°2'20"W
OS Eastings: 328281
OS Northings: 200741
OS Grid: SO282007
Mapcode National: GBR J4.407Z
Mapcode Global: VH79S.8JN0
Entry Name: St James's Vicarage
Listing Date: 28 August 1997
Last Amended: 28 August 1997
Source ID: 18854
Building Class: Domestic
Location: In Pontypool town centre in a row of listed buildings opposite the Italian Gardens.
Community: Pontymoile (Llanfihangel Pont-y-moel)
Built-Up Area: Pontypool
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
A Vicarage for a town centre parish built in 1923. Probably designed by the same architect as the adjoining Registry Office.
Built of squared limestone rubble with freestone quoins and dressings, probably Bath stone; Welsh slate roof. Two storeys set on a plinth and with a high roof. Subtle inter-war domestic style with some Gothic touches. Four bay house with the entrance in the second bay from the left, and the third bay is set forward with a wide gable over. The windows are single sash, paired sash, canted bay with four sashes and paired sash. All these are 6 over 6 sashes in plain reveals. The entrance bay is slightly Gothicised with the plank door framed together with a 2-light mullioned window with pointed heads to the lights and lattice casements. Tall hipped roof with two tall stone stacks with weathering. Paired sash in each floor to the gable end. Rear elevation similar but very plain.
Interior not seen at resurvey (November 1996).
Included as part of an especially good group of C19 and early C20 urban buildings on this side of Hanbury Road.
Other nearby listed buildings