This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5712 / 51°34'16"N
Longitude: -3.1274 / 3°7'38"W
OS Eastings: 321962
OS Northings: 186418
OS Grid: ST219864
Mapcode National: GBR J0.D81B
Mapcode Global: VH6DV.RR1W
Entry Name: Stable and coach-house courtyard ranges to north of Ruperra Castle
Listing Date: 15 October 1997
Last Amended: 5 March 1999
Source ID: 18971
Building Class: Domestic
Location: This courtyard is to north of Ruperra Castle backing onto the drive below Coed Craig Ruperra. Ruperra is reached from a lane running east from the village of Rudry.
Community: Rudry (Rhydri)
Locality: Ruperra Castle
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Built c1910 contemporary with major estate improvements carried out by Commander Courtenay Charles Evan Morgan after he inherited in 1909. The previous stable block was destroyed by fire in 1890's and this new courtyard provided Ruperra Castle with substantial stable and coach-house accommodation.
Ruperra Castle was built c1626 for Sir Thomas Morgan and its design reflects his high social status. During the Civil War it was described as one of the few houses fit for a king. Ruperra remained in the family, as an alternative residence for the Morgans and the Kemeys, until it was sold in 1962. During the war when soldiers were billeted here there was a serious fire and the main house was gutted; the structure has since become progressively ruinous although remains a major South Wales country house.
2-storey ranges set around a courtyard with roughcast elevations and slate roofs. Small-pane casement windows throughout, mostly 2-light and some with transoms. The central carriage entry is tunnel vaulted and above is a tapered cupola with clock-face to outer side and domed top with weathervane. The entrance is closed by curved topped wooden gates.
The stables form the west range and return around some of the south range; the coach-houses form the east and north ranges and the remainder of the south range is taken up by blacksmiths and repair shops flanking the carriage entry. There is a further carriage entry midway along the west range and the north and east ranges have a continuous verandah forming an extended 'porte-cochere'. To the east is a high rubble screen wall between the courtyard and the kitchen garden. The coach-houses retain folding boarded doors and above were living quarters for staff.
The stables retain almost all their original fittings. To south of the secondary carriage entry are six stalls, a larger stallion's stall turning the corner and two further stalls along the south range; north of the carriage entry are five open-fronted stalls and a separate single stall at right angles at the north corner. Those gated stalls to the south have high quality woodwork to the partitions with iron stanchions capped by ball finials. Characteristic of the period these are well-lit and well-aired by iron ventilators in the cambered barrel roof. The stallion's stall at the corner has a curved front partition. The stalls to the north are open-fronted and the horses are tethered. Coachman's accommodation above. Probable workshop or store at the south-east corner not accessible at time of inspection.
Listed as a good example of Edwardian stabling and for its important associations with Ruperra Castle.
Other nearby listed buildings