This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5707 / 51°34'14"N
Longitude: -3.1272 / 3°7'37"W
OS Eastings: 321976
OS Northings: 186357
OS Grid: ST219863
Mapcode National: GBR J0.D83Q
Mapcode Global: VH6DV.RS49
Plus Code: 9C3RHVCF+74
Entry Name: Former Dairy and Laundry to north of Ruperra Castle
Listing Date: 15 October 1997
Last Amended: 5 March 1999
Source ID: 18972
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated between Ruperra Castle and the stable courtyard and aligned north-south. Ruperra Castle is set in its own grounds and reached from a lane running east from the village of Rudry.
Community: Rudry (Rhydri)
Locality: Ruperra Castle
Traditional County: Glamorgan
This range is known as the former dairy and laundry but this is a later conversion of the building, perhaps at the time of the estate improvements carried out c1910 by Courtney Charles Evan Morgan. In origin this range was probably the coach-house and stables and is possibly contemporary with the work carried out by Thomas Hardwick, architect of London, after a fire in 1785. It was then remodelled in early C20, contemporary with the building of the new stables and coach-houses to north, at which time it was reglazed and chimneys renewed etc. More recently converted to domestic use and divided into two.
Ruperra Castle was built c1626 for Sir Thomas Morgan and its design reflects his high social status. During the Civil War it was described as one of the few houses fit for a king. Ruperra remained in the family, as an alternative residence for the Morgan and the Kemeys, until it was sold in 1962. During the war when soldiers were billeted here there was a serious fire and the main house was gutted; the structure has since become progressively ruinous although remains a major South Wales country house.
U-plan, 2-storey range with roughcast elevations under a hipped slate roof with stone chimney stacks and a central bellcote. The 5-bay front has a central round-arched entrance with stone surround. The outer bays are advanced and the ground-floor windows to these bays are set within round-headed recesses. 2 and 3-light cross-frame, camber-headed, windows inserted in early C20 contemporary with the stables and coach-house courtyard. Stone plinth; modern door. Alterations to rear including an irregular pattern of windows and the glazed infill of the former carriage entry on this side.
Some modernisation in conversion into two dwellings.
Included for group value with Ruperra Castle and the adjacent stable and coach-house courtyard.
Other nearby listed buildings