This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5714 / 51°34'17"N
Longitude: -3.1264 / 3°7'35"W
OS Eastings: 322031
OS Northings: 186443
OS Grid: ST220864
Mapcode National: GBR J0.D88X
Mapcode Global: VH6DV.RRKP
Entry Name: Glasshouse to north-east of Ruperra Castle
Listing Date: 16 July 1998
Last Amended: 5 March 1999
Source ID: 20144
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated approximately 125m uphill to the north-east of Ruperra Castle. Set on a platform site facing south across the former gardens.
Community: Rudry (Rhydri)
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Probably c1910 contemporary with the major estate improvements carried out by Commander Courtenay Charles Evan Morgan after he inherited in 1909. Not shown on 1901 2nd edition map. This building was also known as the carnation house.
Ruperra Castle was built in 1626 for Sir Thomas Morgan and its design reflects his social status. During the Civil War it was described as one of the few houses fit for a king. Ruperra remained in the family, as an alternative residence for the Morgans and the Kemeys, until it was sold in 1962. During World War II when soldiers were billeted here there was a serious fire and the main house was gutted; the structure has since become progressively ruinous although remains a major South Wales country house.
Long glasshouse of distinctive E-shaped plan with projecting central entrance and wings to either end. Each projecting bay is polygonal with deeply splayed corners. Set on pale brick plinth with rounded steps up to entrance.
Largely complete, retaining slate slabbed staging carried on quatrefoil-section cast-iron columns (no foundry maker's name visible). Diaper pattern red and cream bricks below the staging. Full-length grilles set into tiled floor below which are the heating pipes. Cast-iron roof braces with trefoil cusping. The woodwork for the framework and windows and doors is said to be teak and the windows have four-centred heads. Overgrown at east end at time of inspection (July 1998).
Included as a scarce example of an Edwardian glasshouse that retains high quality interior fittings and for group value with Ruperra Castle.
Other nearby listed buildings