This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2097 / 53°12'34"N
Longitude: -4.2232 / 4°13'23"W
OS Eastings: 251624
OS Northings: 370373
OS Grid: SH516703
Mapcode National: GBR 5L.1SNS
Mapcode Global: WH546.3L68
Entry Name: Lwyn-onn Farm
Listing Date: 23 April 1998
Last Amended: 23 April 1998
Source ID: 19750
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Set back from the N side of the A4080 Brynsiencyn road, c1km NNE of Plas Llwynonn.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Community: Llanddaniel Fab
Community: Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll
Locality: Plas Llwynonn
Early C19 farm with re-modelling and alterations dating from mid to late C19; alterations in a similar style to Plas Llwynonn, the main house for which this serves as home farm. The name 'T.Jones' and date '1857' are painted on beam in hammel. The servants quarters, former cartsheds and part of the stables have been converted into a farmhouse.
A farm built around a large U-plan courtyard, opening to the SE. Main 2-storey range with lofted hammel, corn-barn and former cartsheds, now forming part of the farmhouse; each single storey projecting wing with cartsheds at the gable ends, wing to left (S) having cowhouse and wing to right (N) having stables. Built of granite rubble with limestone dressings; roof covering of ornamental 'fishscale' slates with stone copings and kneelers, mirroring the roof of Plas Llwynonn. To the left (S) end of the main range is a 3-bay hammel with arched heads to openings, attached to a central corn-barn. A full-length loft with louvred ventilators runs over it, and either side of the corn-barn threshing floor. To the right (N) of the corn-barn are former cartsheds, also with arched heads, now forming part of the farmhouse. In the angle to the right (N) is the farmhouse, with the main elevation facing away from the yard to the NW. This is a 2-storey, 3-window range with central gabled half-glazed porch. Windows are 16-pane sashes to ground floor and right 1st floor, the rest of the 1st floor windows are 12-pane sashes. Lintels are a mixture of slate and stone, with stone sills. The present farmhouse is not part of the original design, and has been made by expanding the existing servant's quarters into the range of cartsheds to the S and into the stables of the projecting single storey wing to the E. In the gable of each projecting wing is a double cartshed with stone 4-centred arch heads; the right (N) wing having stables, some now converted into part of the farmhouse; the left (S) wing having a long cowhouse with massive gritstone lintels. To the NE of, and parallel with, the farmyard is a seperate range including 3 lean-to pigsties and henhouses, and a boiling house with a door in one gable and a chimney in the other. Small stone privy between. All with stone walls and slate roofs.
The boiling house contains a brick oven and boiler, and the date '1872' inscribed.
Listed notwithstanding later alterations, as a good example of an estate-built model farm of the mid C19, associated with Plas Llwynonn.
Other nearby listed buildings